SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec 8/9 Obs and discussion (Showme's) Storm

showmethesnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw this update from Mount Holly. Its going to be a wait and see deal I think. Hopefully we get a decent few hours of light to moderate snow a bit later. I am good with 1-2".

They will likely drop the WSW in eastern MD, as nothing at all has fallen to this point and I really dont see how the criteria (5" potential) is reached today.

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
630 am update: The dry air near the surface continues to be a
hindrance for snow making the move northward, but it looks like
the process is beginning now thanks to substantial large-scale
lift approaching the area. As a potent vort max approaches the
Mid-Atlantic today, jet dynamics combined with considerable
differential cyclonic vorticity advection will permit widespread
precipitation to develop north into the area. Timing of the vort
max appears to have slowed by 3-6 hours...another reason for the
slower onset of precipitation across the area. 
..The trend of the HRRR and HRRR-X has been
downward with QPF today, though not substantially so. The 06Z NAM
Nest continues rather bullish in comparison but has shifted the
snow banding somewhat eastward. The dry look of the GFS is
worrisome, particularly with considerable precipitation ongoing
in the western Atlantic (which may prevent as much northward
advection of more substantial moisture).

Just now, mitchnick said:

You did what you had to do. Don't look back! Lol

It leaves more time to hang out here and track without the yap yap and someone telling you it's not going to snow and stop wasting time with your imaginary online weather buddies.  And the kids can now eat pop tarts whenever they want.  It was the right move

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

It leaves more time to hang out here and track without the yap yap and someone telling you it's not going to snow and stop wasting time with your imaginary online weather buddies.  And the kids can now eat pop tarts whenever they want.  It was the right move

Kids come first. Absolutely.  :yikes:

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Just saw this update from Mount Holly. Its going to be a wait and see deal I think. Hopefully we get a decent few hours of light to moderate snow a bit later. I am good with 1-2".

They will likely drop the WSW in eastern MD, as nothing at all has fallen to this point and I really dont see how the criteria (5" potential) is reached today.

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
630 am update: The dry air near the surface continues to be a
hindrance for snow making the move northward, but it looks like
the process is beginning now thanks to substantial large-scale
lift approaching the area. As a potent vort max approaches the
Mid-Atlantic today, jet dynamics combined with considerable
differential cyclonic vorticity advection will permit widespread
precipitation to develop north into the area. Timing of the vort
max appears to have slowed by 3-6 hours...another reason for the
slower onset of precipitation across the area. 
..The trend of the HRRR and HRRR-X has been
downward with QPF today, though not substantially so. The 06Z NAM
Nest continues rather bullish in comparison but has shifted the
snow banding somewhat eastward. The dry look of the GFS is
worrisome, particularly with considerable precipitation ongoing
in the western Atlantic (which may prevent as much northward
advection of more substantial moisture).

Even if we don't see the totals projected on yesterday's runs I still consider it a win if we get a couple of inches on the ground this early in the season. I guess it is all a matter of perspective though.

8 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Even if we don't see the totals projected on yesterday's runs I still consider it a win if we get a couple of inches on the ground this early in the season. I guess it is all a matter of perspective though.

Agreed. I am already over the 1-3 forecast overnight that produced 3 flakes lol. Not sure the 2-4 for today will verify. I expect that will be cut back. If I didn't already have a Rehoboth trip planned for next weekend, I would be there now!

eta- noticed they have 3-5" for today here. Guess than means they are sticking with the WSW, lol.

Loving the humor in some of the posts this morning. I don't usually post in your sub-forum, but of course, mine is dead at the moment. Just went outside to get the morning newspaper, and there were a few specks of pixie dust on the cars, so SOMETHING is trying to make it down to the surface up here in NEPA...

5 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

I doubt a couple of inches occurs IMBY. maybe a grass topper.

2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Loving the humor in some of the posts this morning. I don't usually post in your sub-forum, but of course, mine is dead at the moment. Just went outside to get the morning newspaper, and there were a few specks of pixie dust on the cars, so SOMETHING is trying to make it down to the surface up here in NEPA...

Consider that a win.

8 minutes ago, Voyager said:

In the Mid-Atlantic you have to have a sense of humor with all the fail we deal with. Why do you think we have a panic room overseen by a reaper? Those our the poor lost humorless souls who spiraled into insanity.

Archived