Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 8/9 Obs and discussion (Showme's) Storm

showmethesnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I know the storm is just in the process of getting its act together, but the national radar right now could be a new variation on the snow hole! A fire hose of snow running from Mobile up into Cumberland, and a fire hose of rain running from Miami to east of Boston. And of course, we somehow manage to be in between both at the moment..... :)

9 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Forget the models. The radar says this is a massive fail. I don't think we see a flake in the DC area. I saw this happening yesterday afternoon. Radar said one thing and models said another.

The energy to the west should spark things up as the Atlantic stuff organizes. Just taking it’s sweet time.

4 minutes ago, dallen7908 said:

Radar filling in with light precipitation.  In the mean time enjoy this view of thunderstorms off the North Carolina coast.  Click on 24 hour water vapor loop.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/

That upper lp diving down ain't helping. Seems like the good stuff now firing up off the NC coast will slide on  out to the NE. Models didn't handle this very well, it seems.

1 minute ago, Wonderdog said:

What is interesting to me was that the Weather Channel forecast on WMAL late yesterday afternoon was saying an inch or two at most (don't know if they upped their totals later),when the models were saying a few inches more. I was wondering what they were seeing at the time that the models weren't.

Radar

Just to give you an idea with what we are dealing with. Below is the HRRR with current conditions. Below that is it's previous run at 1 hour. Very noticeable changes within the trough of low pressure off the coast. Looks as if it may now be beginning to key on a little later development of the main low. Wouldn't even bother looking beyond that on the HRRR considering the changes we see within in just 1 hour. Now whether the other meso and/or globals have a better handling of this feature is yet to be determined. So what I guess I am saying is, lets see what happens down there in the next 6 hours or so before we write this whole thing off as a Fail. For whatever it's worth, from what I have been seeing this morning I think worst case is 1 to 2 inches region wide, though I do think we are going to see the NW extent of snowfall shrink.

eta: Actually the old run is top and new runs is bottom.

If blank, model image not availableIf blank, model image not available

Archived