joxey
Dec 8/9 Obs and discussion (Showme's) Storm

showmethesnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

38/31

First and Final Call for DC Proper -

8 pm - 12 am: Flurries/Light snow possible by midnight. Temps dropping from the upper 30s to mid 30s.

12 am - 7 am: Light snow developing and becoming moderate toward dawn. Temps in the low to mid 30s

7 am - 3 pm: Snow, moderate to heavy at times. Temps in the low to mid 30s.

3 pm - 7 pm: Snow tapers off. Temps in low to mid 30s.

Total Accumulation: 3-4" above 100'. 2-3" below 100'

6 minutes ago, ATreglown said:

Started out as rain here till about 4pm when it flipped to snow and came down pretty good. Got a nice dusting, then it changed over to sleet. Now, it has been freezing rain for about 1.5 hours. Currently 32/32. I am seeing reports in the SE forum of power outages and hearing of reports of large tree limbs dropping. I am getting a bit concerned of this turning into an ice storm rather than a good snow storm. Still many hours to go before it ends. With that being said, any of you guys with expertise in upper levels of the atmosphere, can you clue me in, to if you think this remains a freezing rain event or should I flip back to snow? And thank you in advance for anyone who may reply!

BTW, I am located in VA, 10 miles or so east of the I95 / I85 intersect.

Eh, 32 and heavy rain doesn't freeze too well. Tree limbs are most likely coming down due to the paste as has been the case all Day in AL/GA. 

3 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

38/31

First and Final Call for DC Proper -

8 pm - 12 am: Flurries/Light snow possible by midnight. Temps dropping from the upper 30s to mid 30s.

12 am - 7 am: Light snow developing and becoming moderate toward dawn. Temps in the low to mid 30s

7 am - 3 pm: Snow, moderate to heavy at times. Temps in the low to mid 30s.

3 pm - 7 pm: Snow tapers off. Temps in low to mid 30s.

Total Accumulation: 3-4" above 100'. 2-3" below 100'

Think thats a great call Matt... hope you enjoy it!

Snapped just a few minutes ago from a traffic cam just outside of Salisbury...road conditions look somewhat abominable, with one car spun out into guard rail and another stopped just behind it. Watching the cam for a few minutes, it appears that some folks traveling in the right lane ARE going too fast for conditions...

Snag_c7ce759.png

26 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Eh, 32 and heavy rain doesn't freeze too well. Tree limbs are most likely coming down due to the paste as has been the case all Day in AL/GA. 

Well, I know it is freezing here because the snow that did fall has not melted and it is pouring rain and it is freezing on everything.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Man I wish I could find the links for the hrrr frontogenesis panels.....anybody?

Hrrr looks really good starting around 11am with banded structure. If anyone has the frontogen links please post 925 and 700mb for 17-18z tomorrow. I'll bet it's NSFW quality. 

I got the NAM banding/frontogen..

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Man I wish I could find the links for the hrrr frontogenesis panels.....anybody?

Hrrr looks really good starting around 11am with banded structure. If anyone has the frontogen links please post 925 and 700mb for 17-18z tomorrow. I'll bet it's NSFW quality. 

SPC meso?

4 minutes ago, snjókoma said:

HRRR keeps reducing the 12 AM- 7 AM precipitation. Bad trend, considering thats when surface temps and lack of sun make accumulation easiest.

Hate to be selfish but I'm driving to a swim meet at like 6:00AM... Don't want slick roads. I'm happy to get stuck out there, just need to get there first.

37/25

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Philippe Pappin has some of those maps on his webpage... but they are directed at ATL right now -- http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/hrrr.php

Archived