Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-2018 Winter Observations

Carvers Gap

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really fun to watch the upper level disturbance move in, in real time from the ground.  Went out for a run around the neighborhood around 5 PM and saw a dramatic change in the clouds from beginning to end of the run. Clouds went from plain old cumulus, to starting to line up in what seemed to be streets and I could see the snow falling, but not reaching the ground!

One of the hill tops I run to has views of the Smokies and they looked downright snowy already!

Decided to check GOES 16 a few minutes ago and sure enough the cloud streets were showing up as the upper low moved in! Maybe I'm a little too weird but it was fun to be thinking about the mid and upper levles and how they effect what we see and then actually then see it happen.

Another inch and a half of snow fell on the latest and likely last wave of the night. Counting the early morning 3.2 inches fell in all today due to three single hour bursts. If this snow is the last of the season I think I can say farewell to this lackluster winter on a good note. I noticed a temperature drop as well over the past 2 hours it went from 30 to 26.

The largest and possibly heaviest area of snow is actually located from just north of Nashville to Northern Kentucky now. I'd guess SWVA is good for 1-2 more inches. Possibly an inch or so in NETN and maybe 1/2 inch in my area if it holds together on this end. It has a decent connection to Lake Michigan and there should be some NW flow component. My temp is holding steady at 31 degrees.

Just looking through Radarscope, finally found something with enough resolution.  You can see the trajectory of individual cells(as @1234snow noted above the snow was moving through in cells vs banding like we see currently).  I was looking at school closings, and they reflect the look below.  The blue is .48 which I think is liquid equivalent.  

IMG_ED9592D820BA-1.thumb.jpg.8880de8972b8f13a63411db9fac8b9cf.jpg

Here are the last 24 hours in terms of radar -  link below.  You can see the band arrive about 4-5 hours ago.  Matches the precipitation totals from above.  Looks like it came through maybe three hours after the hook pic.  I was looking at the back of my eyelids.

http://storms.meas.ncsu.edu/users/mdparker/radarchive/

@*Flash*, nice work!  Cool stuff.

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 9.07.29 AM.png

Another nice snow shower is pushing through as I type. I definitely do not usually do this well with NW flow type snow. This has to be about the most I’ve seen with this kind of setup in the 7yrs we’ve lived here. My in laws in Bristol VA barely have a dusting this AM. If anyone usually gets snow it’s them and not me, so pleasantly surprised! Also have to say that this is the 3rd latest accumulating snow that I can recall ever having seen. 

Archived