• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-2018 Winter Observations

Carvers Gap

I don't post much im just a lurker lol but i couldn't help but to take this picture of what looks like a down burst of snow instead of a thunderstorm. As you can see to your left and right of the snow wall you xan see the hills of Virginia. This is looking out over the eastmen towards the TN/VA line. Anyways i thought this was way way awesome and thought i would share it here. By the way you guys rock and thank you so much for all the knowledge everyone is giving me from a weather aspect. Again thanks guys!!!a9a5e364e1ac53bf9a0f922f2e5985bc.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535PP using Tapatalk

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, uncheelfan said:

I don't post much im just a lurker lol but i couldn't help but to take this picture of what looks like a down burst of snow instead of a thunderstorm. As you can see to your left and right of the snow wall you xan see the hills of Virginia. This is looking out over the eastmen towards the TN/VA line. Anyways i thought this was way way awesome and thought i would share it here. By the way you guys rock and thank you so much for all the knowledge everyone is giving me from a weather aspect. Again thanks guys!!!a9a5e364e1ac53bf9a0f922f2e5985bc.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535PP using Tapatalk

Great observation.  Please keep posting. Yeah, saw several squall-like lines rolling down the north facing slope Bays Mountain this afternoon around 3:30.  Distinct waves of snow.  Awesome stuff.

I hadn't checked winter observations in a good while and was pleasantly surprised by all of the great images! As for snow in SWVA tonight so far it's just virga as of now its 40 and falling looking like it will start as a mix here. In other news this snowfall will fill my log of many dustings and I'll have to figure out a way to reorganize my list until May. I'll update a few more times and maybe send a few pictures. ;)

Well, long story short last night was a complete bust it seemed the precipitation mostly ran north of here in a scattered fashion. What the radar did show over here never made it to the ground at least from what I saw when I was awake. Last night has made me skeptical of Sunday night but will see how it plays out. My model reading ability is lackluster at best so I will leave that to the rest of you all unless something really sticks out to me. I'll gladly join in on the nowcast, weather readings, and pictures though.

On 2/25/2018 at 11:38 AM, Carvers Gap said:

Folks at church reported hearing thunder overnight.  There is a time honored belief by mountain folk that it will snow within two weeks of thunder during winter.    Basically, it means warmth during winter is followed by snow. 

Based on the past week of weather....holds true yet again.  Crazy.  Who needs the Weeklies, right?

Up to 2" of snow reported in areas of northern middle TN.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/37698399/winter-weather-advisory-issued-for-parts-of-middle-tn-southern-ky

"The National Weather Service reported 0.3 inches of snow at Nashville International Airport. Up to two inches of snow was reported in counties along the state line in northern Middle Tennessee."

Light to moderate snow is falling here. My house is roughly at the point where accumulation starts. It's looking like if the radar keep itself together a little longer I may have more than a dusting to report despite the hostile temperatures after all. If there is one thing I've learned from this it's that you should never underestimate the staying power of warmth in the valley. *UPDATE* With the sustained snowfall I have managed to accumulate 1/4th of an inch of snow on life support from the sky.:lol:

8 minutes ago, Stovepipe said:

I’ve had a nice moderate snow this morning here on a ridge in Norris Dam State Park. No stickage which is a good thing considering I’ve got to drag a camper home soon. Fun to watch!

Seems like that camper has good mojo...like I said earlier, need to pull it out to Norris in the middle of January next time.  :lol:

Eventually had a very light dusting that melted almost as quickly as it fell here.  Garden is read for some early stuff.

IMG_2277.jpg

Archived