Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-2018 Winter Observations

Carvers Gap

1 minute ago, Windspeed said:

Don't you have a nearby creek that floods your driveway on occasion? I seem to recall you posting images once. Or perhaps that was someone else.

Yes, it actually floods the roadway in front of my house and washes out my driveway at the bottom of it. But the county road department made some repairs to the culvert and bridge the creek flows through and hopefully it won't escape it's banks this time. 

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

@BlunderStorm and @1234snow, how are things up your way.  Seeing a lot of reports of pretty severe flooding out of SW VA.  I know we have some other posters up in SW VA and SE KY...how are you all as well.  

I'm not sure how accurate my weather station is but it has recorded 3.31 inches of rainfall this weekend. I live just north of the Clinch but haven't crossed it since last night so I haven't got a look for myself. More than anything I'm worried about mudslides especially north and west of here. The topography is a nightmare when it floods out that way.

[mention=15050]BlunderStorm[/mention] and [mention=6441]1234snow[/mention], how are things up your way.  Seeing a lot of reports of pretty severe flooding out of SW VA.  I know we have some other posters up in SW VA and SE KY...how are you all as well.  

I haven’t been home this weekend until now so I missed the event. Gate City recorded 4.2 inches of rain. Just went and checked the Holston and it is extremely high. A lot of county roads are flooded. It’s currently at 16.52 ft. 18 ft is major flood stage. It has been rising about .05 to .1 ft every 30 minutes. This is the second moderate flood in the past 2 years. Last year the flood washed away a crane in Weber City that was being used in constructing a new bridge. It pushed the project back at least a year. Hopefully the cranes were evacuated to higher ground this time.

Hey Rambler.....great pics. What trail did you use to get the falls? Wife and I have hiked in the Laurel Snow Falls area near Dayton....looking for some other places up that way so we have an excuse to hit Monkey Town Brewing on the way back.....

We took these back in Jan when the cold finally broke....

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Mr Bob said:

Hey Rambler.....great pics. What trail did you use to get the falls? Wife and I have hiked in the Laurel Snow Falls area near Dayton....looking for some other places up that way so we have an excuse to hit Monkey Town Brewing on the way back.....

We took these back in Jan when the cold finally broke....

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Nice! Monkey Town is always a once a semester trip for me and a colleague (I teach in Roane County).  I think its called Piney River falls trail, but not 100% sure. I have attached a google map with an arrow pointing to the trailhead.  Basically you go up on the plateau from Spring City on 68 and take the first *sharp* left you come to atop the plateau.  Then you drive out on a semi paved road probably 2 miles and there will be parking and a sign on your right. Very short hikes to the falls from there, but nothing in the way of protection on the edge so if you have young ones use caution.  There are good signs and maps along the way on the trail.

There is another good trail along the Piney River. I would have gone there too, but to get to top (closest to a waterfall) I had to go off road and with the pot holes I was seeing in the gravel, didn't think my car would make it. Here is a link to that trail: https://www.trailrunproject.com/trail/7026785/piney-river-pocket-wilderness. Actually that link only shows half the trail. If you zoom out a bit you can see the top of the trail I was referring to. The whole trail is nice and there's actually a bridge with a deep pool below it, about half way up. 

Piney River trail head.png

Interesting features on NEXRAD as of the time of this post.  Looks like two little fronts? moving through the area. One in the East TN Valley and the other rolling down through Eastern KY.  I'm used to seeing these sort of features, but I can't remember seeing two so close together. The second one is hard to see, so I put a couple of arrows on them.  I'm attaching this image in the hopes that someone can help me understand what's causing this (may be fairly common).  Also, completely understand that it is no one's job on here to explain things like this to me, so no worries if no time. 

lil fronts.png

Piney Falls 2.mp4       Piney Falls.mp4

These are supposed to be waterfall videos, but am concerned I may have uploaded them wrong.  If there is a problem viewing them, let me know and I will delete them since I'm not really sure what happened. 

They played fine on my iPad. Pretty impressive water flow!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived