SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017-2018 Winter Observations

Carvers Gap

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8:05 AM ob.  Dusting overnight from the snow showers that moved through in north Johnson City.  Temperature was 27 this morning, flurries still around with broken clouds.

8:30 AM ob.  Office in Erwin picked up around 2 inches.  Snow showers were still around in spots, and roads were slushy in spots.  Temperature was 25.

Welcome to our new posters!  It's good to see new screen names.........

33 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

8:05 AM ob.  Dusting overnight from the snow showers that moved through in north Johnson City.  Temperature was 27 this morning, flurries still around with broken clouds.

8:30 AM ob.  Office in Erwin picked up around 2 inches.  Snow showers were still around in spots, and roads were slushy in spots.  Temperature was 25.

Welcome to our new posters!  It's good to see new screen names.........

I second that.  Great to see more folks pitching in.  Definitely nice to read observations from all over the forum area.

Partial lunar eclipse barely dodged thickening high clouds this morning in Chattanooga. I did not take a photo walking into work, but it was interesting seeing half the moon covered with Earth's shadow. Then at work we reflected on the August eclipse, still an amazing memory.

Tuesday afternoon I spotted a faint circumzenithal arc CZA over Chattanooga, along with a full halo, walking out of work. Again I did not take a photo, hoping it would get better. Instead it faded. I wonder if I'd missed a better display earlier. The CZA is considered one of the more beautiful halo type displays. CZA is more delicate than others, but sometimes brilliant. On the latter, maybe next time.

None of the above compares to the total solar eclipse. However all of the above remind us to keep an eye on the sky and to maintain a childlike curiosity. Cheers!

1 hour ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Had to go chase some snow. Figured north and east would be a good idea and probably less crowded than Smokies trails. Pictures from White Rocks in Cumberland Gap near Ewing, VA. If these belong in a picture thread apologies, but since I observed it, I thought it would count. 

powell valley snow.jpg

Powell Valley Sunrise.jpg

That is a great first post!  Keep posting!!!

Thanks! Definitely plan on being a more active lurker. I’ve been watching since 2013 and finally decided to jump in. As a follow up I’ll say that the wind was stiff and cold on top of the ridge (whatever that ridge is called that runs northeast from Cumberland Gap). Pixie dust snow for most of the run/ hike.  Very sharp gradient from what seemed to be a quick, heavy wet snow at the trailhead (~0.5 blobby inch) just above Powell Valley and Ewing, VA and then some accumulation (~3-4”) that indicated a longer duration snowfall on top. Even stepped in a single, lonely 6 inch drift banked up on a rock! (I know, 6 inches, but beggars can’t be choosers).

2 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Thanks! Definitely plan on being a more active lurker. I’ve been watching since 2013 and finally decided to jump in. As a follow up I’ll say that the wind was stiff and cold on top of the ridge (whatever that ridge is called that runs northeast from Cumberland Gap). Pixie dust snow for most of the run/ hike.  Very sharp gradient from what seemed to be a quick, heavy wet snow at the trailhead (~0.5 blobby inch) just above Powell Valley and Ewing, VA and then some accumulation (~3-4”) that indicated a longer duration snowfall on top. Even stepped in a single, lonely 6 inch drift banked up on a rock! (I know, 6 inches, but beggars can’t be choosers).

Yeah, went running this AM.  Went into a meadow section and nearly froze when I hit a headwind.  Now...I was not up on a ridge, but it was still cold!

Just saw a video of someone posted from home an hour ago and it was pouring down goosefeathers as they were driving.

This snow is just as heavy as a few days ago but the flakes are not as big which is surprising. Temp is down to 32 and I have just over a 1/2 inch. The CC line is moving in quick though. It shouldn’t last much longer.

Now it is rain and 32. The Correlation Coefficient line on RadarScope is extremely accurate. As soon as that line hit it turned to rain. Area roads are a mess and will turn slushy soon. Ended up with 1/2 which brings to season total to 3.5” of nickels and dimes. If this is the last snow we see this winter I’ll be okay with it.

Yeah, raining like crazy here.  Creeks are getting really full.  I knew those LR models a while back which were predicting suppression and dry were false.  February is generally not a dry month.   I went jogging this morning and was slogging through ankle deep water.  Creek is barely in its banks.  And I think we are BN for temps this month as well....

Just passed an inch for the day. A slow burn but the ground is certainly saturated by what has already fallen. Expecting around two inches tomorrow with the heaviest rain just before noon for TRI. Obviously not as bad as areas to the west and on the plateau. I-75 corridor and SE Kentucky is getting kicked in the groin.

Archived