Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
2017-2018 Winter Observations

Carvers Gap

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently 17 degrees at 1PM without any snow cover on the ground. That's impressive any year really. It's not often that we can maintain these low temps without it. MRX mentioned in the AFD that even Knoxville and points North could make a run at 0 tonight if winds decouple and clouds decrease.

1 hour ago, Jed33 said:

Currently 17 degrees at 1PM without any snow cover on the ground. That's impressive any year really. It's not often that we can maintain these low temps without it. MRX mentioned in the AFD that even Knoxville and points North could make a run at 0 tonight if winds decouple and clouds decrease.

Yep, I think the forecasted highs and lows are a tad high, I might flirt with close to 0 in the morning, my high has been 21, was forecasted 26! We know at 3 pm that's all we have here today! My forecasted low is 6 tonight! 

2 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Virga so far, hopefully the flow off the lake changes. Too much NW flow there, needs to be NNW to really get involved in East Tennessee. When the plumes are coming from N. Indiana between Gary and South Bend they can connect here. At their current angle they connect with West Virginia. 

Should see them shift late tonigh/tomorrow morning to more northerly in that region.  Best NW flow might be closer to daybreak and even just after.

Now in Jefferson City and it's just coming down here. Big fat flakes and sticking to everything. It seems that if you get under one of these streamers, you are golden for about 5-10 min. Enough to whiten things up with these cold temps. Too bad there's not more moisture to work with. 

KTRI set two record lows this week.  On Jan 1, it was 7F.  On January 2, it was 3F. Rare air to be setting January record lows..

Probably going to set some record for the longest it has taken to get above freezing during the beginning of a calendar year.  We have not been above freezing since Dec 30th.  Looks like January 7th will be the first time KTRI gets above freezing for the New Year.  

I've got a heavy dusting to half an inch so far. A steady stream of light snow and flurries are coming from the NW below the radar. This in fact exceeded my expectations, I was just expecting a few flurries. I'll take a light coating of snow any day! Here are some compressed pictures. Also the temperature is 14F with a wind chill of 7F. **EDIT** I replaced the 2nd image of the last snowfall with today's. Also after measuring in multiple places my total for today was 0.5 in. Hopefully a few more flakes tomorrow.

img_1157[1].jpg

img_1155[1].jpg

img_1144[1].jpg

img_1145[1].jpg

Archived