• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017-2018 Winter Observations

Carvers Gap

Hey, if it won't come to me I'll just have to come to it. Yes I live in a more favorable climate and would more than enjoy getting smacked with snow but I would prefer a light event if it meant you all got hit as well. Looking outward it looks like after another week of BN temps followed by the southeast moderating. The GFS suggests at least for now it will be temporary and returns to a colder pattern.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took a trip to Roan Mountain.  10-12" of snow fell in the valley and the roads are clear even to Carvers Gap(sound familiar?).  Temps at 5k' were at 19F around 1:30PM.  Eleven degree difference between the valley and the pass.  Winds were gusting 10-20mph but was pleasant up there considering it is early winter and it had just snowed.    The top of the mountain had similar amounts to the valley.  Will post some pics later.  Got some sledding in and sight seeing.  Beautiful day.  Awesome to see almost 1' of snow on the ground in early December.  Those are eyeballed measurements, not a ruler.  Would be awesome to have a poster from up there.

Took a trip to Roan Mountain.  10-12" of snow fell in the valley and the roads are clear even to Carvers Gap(sound familiar?).  Temps at 5k' were at 19F around 1:30PM.  Eleven degree difference between the valley and the pass.  Winds were gusting 10-20mph but was pleasant up there considering it is early winter and it had just snowed.    The top of the mountain had similar amounts to the valley.  Will post some pics later.  Got some sledding in and sight seeing.  Beautiful day.  Awesome to see almost 1' of snow on the ground in early December.  Those are eyeballed measurements, not a ruler.  Would be awesome to have a poster from up there.

I love that place. The Pygmy Forest is beautiful. I imagine the scenery is gorgeous as usual.

40 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

I am blessed to live in an area where I can drive 50 minutes and be in snow...even if it misses me.  Here are some photos of Roan Mountain State Park, both in the Valley and at Carvers Gap.

Beautiful pictures Carver! I definitely need to try to get up there some time.

2 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

I am blessed to live in an area where I can drive 50 minutes and be in snow...even if it misses me.  Here are some photos that I took today of Roan Mountain State Park, both in the valley and at Carvers Gap.

Thanks for posting those pictures Carvers, very beautiful!  My family is planning to take the camper over there for a four night getaway when the rhododendrons bloom. 

Archived