Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 8/9th Storm - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

We're completely locked in. Time to let chips fall. Upside will come from banding and downside will come from subsidence in between banding. Models are so close with qpf and placement that there's really nothing left to pick apart. The ONLY thing that gives me a tiny bit of pause is what the NAMs are showing with the ebbs and flows as the waves ripple up. We want the final wave to be on steroids as it passes our latitude. 

Weird hunch that somebody is gonna get upgraded tomm.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, stormtracker said:

Weird hunch that somebody is gonna get upgraded tomm.

Sure looks like it. Temps have trended better and qpf has trended better for the corridor over the last 24 hours. Every run nudges the sweet spot closer across all guidance. HRRR is doing it right now. lol. I do think the precip sweet spot for snow will remain east of 95. That would be a pretty sig jump at this stage. However, the highest snow totals could easily end up away from the highest QPF. Might be to the west of EZF or maybe upper moco/hills of hoco. Temps problems to the SE will almost certainly keep ratios a good bit below 10:1. I could see someone in a favored climo location end up close to 10:1 though. There could be a complete pasting somewhere SE of DC as well. All I know is my yard is buffered by a ton of room between qpf and temp problems. hee hee 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We're completely locked in. Time to let chips fall. Upside will come from banding and downside will come from subsidence in between banding. Models are so close with qpf and placement that there's really nothing left to pick apart. The ONLY thing that gives me a tiny bit of pause is what the NAMs are showing with the ebbs and flows as the waves ripple up. We want the final wave to be on steroids as it passes our latitude. 

It’s nice to see how consistent the models are with QPF totals.  There’ll be a lot of nowcasting to see where the bands set up but I wouldn’t be surprised if just NW of 95 has some good bands, like we usually see.  Also, this is a non-complicated setup which also helps.  No threading the needle as we close in.

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's 0.75 line is around 10 miles or less from my house.  The NAM has got us scrambling and worries me about our forecast west of DC.  THe odels have been hinting at some type of banding structure.  Tough to know exactly where.  The NAM 500h vorticity really supports the idea that the 12Z nAM was too dry across DC.  The southern stream lifts across the area and I think it is the reason that the NAM started spicing up its forecast west and southwest of DC.  I still worry about temps especially for us guys southeast of the city. 

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

It’s nice to see how consistent the models are with QPF totals.  There’ll be a lot of nowcasting to see where the bands set up but I wouldn’t be surprised if just NW of 95 has some good bands, like we usually see.  Also, this is a non-complicated setup which also helps.  No threading the needle as we close in.

Very true.  It's a good set-up in that regard, no waiting for stuff to develop on top of us or anything like that.  Just checked the radar loop, and that's a nice feed of moisture making a beeline right at us.

1 minute ago, usedtobe said:

It's 0.75 line is around 10 miles or less from my house.  The NAM has got us scrambling and worries me about our forecast west of DC.  THe odels have been hinting at some type of banding structure.  Tough to know exactly where.  The NAM 500h vorticity really supports the idea that the 12Z nAM was too dry across DC.  The southern stream lifts across the area and I think it is the reason that the NAM started spicing up its forecast west and southwest of DC.  I still worry about temps especially for us guys southeast of the city. 

The one thing you guys have going is that it's the lowest sun angle of the season and the start of the event has a decently low Td to help better wet bulbing.

1 minute ago, usedtobe said:

Yea, those sw-ne aligned bands happen with just about every event like this...and they always seem to set up in the climo favored locations. Could be terrain enhanced because over the years the consistency is hard to ignore. My yard got lucky in the 13/14 and 14/15 with more than a few events where the bands just liked my yard. That luck is probably over....lol 

Will probably be deleted... But Loudon east will be in a WSW tomorrow for 4-8. Just a hunch. And I don't buy the less than 10:1 rations when the upper layers so cold. A stronger than expected system will filter in colder air from the upper levels.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, those sw-ne aligned bands happen with just about every event like this...and they always seem to set up in the climo favored locations. Could be terrain enhanced because over the years the consistency is hard to ignore. My yard got lucky in the 13/14 and 14/15 with more than a few events where the bands just liked my yard. That luck is probably over....lol 

Well, don't know about that...the Bob Chill Deathband is a climatological feature in MoCo, isn't it? ;)

1 minute ago, Ger said:

Don't some of our really good storms start a bit early? Just a question

The precip is actually going to retreat SE before filling back in later. None of what you see on radar is making it here and it was never forecast to either. Most of us won't see snow start to fall for another 8 hours

Just now, Bob Chill said:

The precip is actually going to retreat SE before filling back in later. None of what you see on radar is making it here and it was never forecast to either. Most of us won't see snow start to fall for another 8 hours

But what if start seeing flurries in NE DC? Asking for a friend

Just now, fourseasons said:

Didn't you just post in the obs and disco thread that models won't help too much and nowcasting is here?

Yeah :lol: I'm just pointing something out. Also, every model that shows more snow, or longer duration of snow is always right. It's rule #37 in the weenie weather rulebook

Just kidding. But in all seriousness, I'm not sure how credible the HRRR is, but that seems like one of the best for short range, but it doesn't go out to the end of the storm yet

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived