Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8/9th Storm - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Prob noise again. GFS expands the .40 line NW/moves the .50 line a little SE/and shifts the really heavy stuff NW. We're just about locked in here. Ukie/Euro should seal it up shortly. 

Yup. Looks like a blend of the 0z and 6z runs. Now we wait to see where the totally unexpected farther NW deathband develops.

P.S. I have a guess!!

8 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

A message from DT

Looking at this Snow to Liquid Ration is appears that the best areas will be just to the west of the I95 corridor.  This will be the area where the will be just enough precip combined with a favorable temp profile for accumulating snow.  Based on what I am seeing above, and combining it with the GFS/ Euro precip output, it appears that the lower eastern shore will be fighting melt while anything west of Frederick will be fighting low rates.  I like where the DC and Baltimore currently sit with respect to this storm.   

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

NAM soundings look very nice for dendrite production in our area. With the best profile up at Mt Parkton (shocker). Deep dendrite growth zone and best upward motion within that layer. Should fluff up nicely.

I should specify at 18z tomorrow. Earlier morning look like junkier flakes.

At the moment low pressure is racing south out of Canada. In around 15 hours, models have this low slowing over the lakes, releasing energy, and then moving from SW to NE. Why does it do this? Is it so far away for the coastal to catch it's energy before deepening at 500mb over the lakes? I'm trying to paint scenario. 

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

NAM soundings look very nice for dendrite production in our area. With the best profile up at Mt Parkton (shocker). Deep dendrite growth zone and best upward motion within that layer. Should fluff up nicely.

Since you mentioned MBY -- can you explain how to tell that on soundings? Looking to learn something new in between runs :) 

Well Here is DT'S Kuchera 11 inches peak between Cambridge and Salisbury. Really nice rates on the shore will pull temps at or below freezing as all the models are picking up on. 

snku_acc.us_ma.thumb.png.f2667da22eaf91e9ad31d89252a050c3.png

Man, whatever they did to the GFS to make UHI's more obvious has gone way overboard. Hope they tweak that a little in the future.

Either way I'd take that though.

4 minutes ago, StormchaserChuck said:

At the moment low pressure is racing south out of Canada. In around 15 hours, models have this low slowing over the lakes, releasing energy, and then moving from SW to NE. Why does it do this? Is it so far away for the coastal to catch it's energy before deepening at 500mb over the lakes? I'm trying to paint scenario. 

I'm a bit of a noob, but I think the relatively warm lakes at this time of year tend to slow down and deepen LP systems as they move over the lakes. Can someone with more experience / knowledge confirm or enlighten me? I used to ilve up in Montreal and I'd hear people talk about this. It was our great hope that these east coast storms would get caught up in great lake lows so as to shift snowfall to Montreal. Funny how now I dread that.

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

Since you mentioned MBY -- can you explain how to tell that on soundings? Looking to learn something new in between runs :) 

For TT, you can just click on the map where you want a skew T. Then on the left side of the skew T it highlights the DGZ with red lines. Then look for the omega (upward motion) within that zone. If the strongest upward motion is within the DGZ...congrats in advance!

P.S. upward motion is negative on that scale.

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

For TT, you can just click on the map where you want a skew T. Then on the left side of the skew T it highlights the DGZ with red lines. Then look for the omega (upward motion) within that zone. If the strongest upward motion is within the DGZ...congrats in advance!

Thank you. On GFS, strongest is just outside DGZ zone, for my backyard, throughout. Shucks. 

18 minutes ago, PDIII said:

Looking at this Snow to Liquid Ration is appears that the best areas will be just to the west of the I95 corridor.  This will be the area where the will be just enough precip combined with a favorable temp profile for accumulating snow.  Based on what I am seeing above, and combining it with the GFS/ Euro precip output, it appears that the lower eastern shore will be fighting melt while anything west of Frederick will be fighting low rates.  I like where the DC and Baltimore currently sit with respect to this storm.   

That looks like some serious climo nw bias!

16 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

You mean like this?

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/sounding/?model=gfs&runtime=2017120812&fh=30&lat=39.11&lon=-77.99&stationID=

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived