• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8/9th Storm - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

It's that time of the season.  Your very first storm mode thread of the season.   For those that don't know, this thread is for on topic discussion of the models....no excessive banter or off topic posts (you can banter in the....banter thread!).   Mods are instructed to be pretty brutal in these threads, so if you see your content constantly disappearing, you should probably take notice and make better posts or risk getting 5 posted..or worse, suspended.  Nobody wants that...so with that being said...keep this thread clean and focused with good posts.  Thanks

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would still put most weight on the globals. This is a moisture laden event with several waves of lp running the coast. Not the best setup for meso's. If they don't get the waves right then the precip will be off.  That said....12z nam looking better. 

Eta: I take back what I said about looking better. NAM might be doing strange things with the precip shield. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I would still put most weight on the globals. This is a moisture laden event with several waves of lp running the coast. Not the best setup for meso's. If they don't get the waves right then the precip will be off.  That said....12z nam looking better. 

Eta: I take back what I said about looking better. NAM might be doing strange things with the precip shield. 

Yeah, i noticed down south it has some gaps

at 21 hours, it looks a bit better than the previous panel...and compared to 6z, the precip is spread back further west down south

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Looks solid anyway now but still, moving around precip maxes down south every run is a flag that the nam is going to be jumpy. Next run will be different again. Globals are pretty steady right now. 

You, 24 hours, precip is spread way back west, almost to the wv/va border now

12Z NAM QPF up to 0.43.  The 00Z NAM was 0.33, so 0.1 higher. Perhaps backs off the intensity of the precip mid morning, hence the slight drop off in total QPF from 0.13 to 0.10 and the 2 M temp bumping up a couple degrees. But as Bob noted, the mesos may not do as well with the precip waves compared to the globals.

00z nam.jpg

5 minutes ago, ohwxguy said:

12Z NAM QPF up to 0.43.  The 00Z NAM was 0.33, so 0.1 higher. Perhaps backs off the intensity of the precip mid morning, hence the slight drop off in total QPF from 0.13 to 0.10 and the 2 M temp bumping up a couple degrees. But as Bob noted, the mesos may not do as well with the precip waves compared to the globals.

00z nam.jpg

So bottom line is the nam increased moisture and is playing slow catch up. Seems like an overall positive to me

Glad to see the models have all expanded the precip shield west. Sometimes living on the back edge can be a good thing. This isnt going to be an intense storm but usually you can get some banding setting up on the back edge.  And of course temps should not be an issue out here regardless. After looking like we were going to get shut out I would be happy with the 2 inches being shown anyways. 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Glad to see the models have all expanded the precip shield west. Sometimes living on the back edge can be a good thing. This isnt going to be an intense storm but usually you can get some banding setting up on the back edge.  And of course temps should not be an issue out here regardless. After looking like we were going to get shut out I would be happy with the 2 inches being shown anyways. 

I feel like we often see these types of storms overperform on the western edge. The precip ends up farther west than expected and seems to get some extra lift in the hillier areas. Combined with slightly colder temps, those places often seem to compare very favorably with the amount of snow that ends up falling around the 95 corridor.

Ha, WRF is teasing a warning level storm and has real high totals not all that far to the east now. Probably still too far away for that big of a jump at this lead time, but it's interesting. Does seem like a general .3 to .6 across the region on just about all models. Nice to see some consensus building. On to the GFS!

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived