Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9th snow

Tom

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jsdphilly said:

Lol. Relax everyone. It wasn’t even really supposed to start for another hour at least. It’s filling in. Couple inches still looks good

I think some of that "filling in" on the radar is virga.  The dews are still pretty low and the atmosphere would need to moisten a bit to get some of that down to the surface.  If you look at stations in S. Jersey where it is confirmed as snowing, the dews are in the 30s.  There are some stations west in Lancaster Co. that are showing heavier returns and dews in the 20s.  Need to confirm if anyone N/W is actually seeing anything.

As an obs here, temp has been steady @ 33F and dp 17F.

15 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I think some of that "filling in" on the radar is virga.  The dews are still pretty low and the atmosphere would need to moisten a bit to get some of that down to the surface.  If you look at stations in S. Jersey where it is confirmed as snowing, the dews are in the 30s.  There are some stations west in Lancaster Co. that are showing heavier returns and dews in the 20s.  Need to confirm if anyone N/W is actually seeing anything.

As an obs here, temp has been steady @ 33F and dp 17F.

It's not virga.  The moment my area came under returns it started

1 minute ago, anthonyweather said:

This was a 9am-noon start time for the past 2 days. At least for the LV

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I'm completely aware of that. I was alluding to the fact that in Mount Holly's AFD they mentioned they may need to cut back on totals because the coastal low seems to be robbing moisture, yet on their updated map that came out at the same time as the AFD, Reading was upped from 2 to 3 inches. I know, that's not a big deal, but why raise totals, even slightly, even after mentioning a possible shaving of totals. Sorry for the rant, its December 9th with snow falling and possibly more Tuesday. What else could we ask for after the past couple December torches.

8 minutes ago, Newman said:

My point and click forecast now says "Snow, mainly after 2pm", yet my projected total went from 2 inches to 3 inches. Either way, no sign of this virga going away up here just yet. 

My elevation (825ft) may be helping a bit as it's been snowing for a little while now, albeit, very lightly.

nothing like waking up to see nothing falling and being right square in the middle of a hole on the radar. looks like I should get into those bands soon but this dry air is hanging very very tough. I'm concerned those bands will just fall apart once they reach here. coming up on 2 hours past the expected start at least here but most models are keeping the snow past 00z tn now. still think bucks co sees 3 to 6 inches and not 1 to 3.

5 minutes ago, Newman said:

I'm completely aware of that. I was alluding to the fact that in Mount Holly's AFD they mentioned they may need to cut back on totals because the coastal low seems to be robbing moisture, yet on their updated map that came out at the same time as the AFD, Reading was upped from 2 to 3 inches. I know, that's not a big deal, but why raise totals, even slightly, even after mentioning a possible shaving of totals. Sorry for the rant, its December 9th with snow falling and possibly more Tuesday. What else could we ask for after the past couple December torches.

Mt Holly seems to be struggling....

lol!

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

nothing like waking up to see nothing falling and being right square in the middle of a hole on the radar. looks like I should get into those bands soon but this dry air is hanging very very tough. I'm concerned those bands will just fall apart once they reach here. coming up on 2 hours past the expected start at least here but most models are keeping the snow past 00z tn now. still think bucks co sees 3 to 6 inches and not 1 to 3.

Haven't read back yet to see if this was discussed, but you should have seen it around 4 am, lol. It was a bare looking radar. I know last night that 2nd area of precipitation coming out of Alabama was supposed to grow into our main snow giver, but I didn't expect to see most signs of the 1st wave pretty much outta here.

9 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Haven't read back yet to see if this was discussed, but you should have seen it around 4 am, lol. It was a bare looking radar. I know last night that 2nd area of precipitation coming out of Alabama was supposed to grow into our main snow giver, but I didn't expect to see most signs of the 1st wave pretty much outta here.

Yesterday it looked like my start time would be around 6-7am-ish. Things didn't get underway until 9:30. Still, this was never supposed to be the storm of the century -- just happy to see snow falling in early Dec!

With the rain and wind the other night, most of the remaining leaves here were persuaded to come down, finally. For accumulating snows I like to have the grass short, with minimal leaves and debris - it's a feng shui snow on the lawn thing. Short not a problem, since it's been dormant for the last 2 weeks or so. At least a couple of inches of snow seemed likely today, so that meant I spent 5 hours late yesterday and last evening blowing leaves and raking (yes, blowing leaves in the dark works, lol). Got'er done though! I was going to make a post something along the lines of "it's going snow for sure now", but when I saw the radar overnight I decided to hold off. All's well that ends well, it's snowing, and on top of that the final leaf cleanup is DUN done. Let it snow!

4 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Yesterday it looked like my start time would be around 6-7am-ish. Things didn't get underway until 9:30. Still, this was never supposed to be the storm of the century -- just happy to see snow falling in early Dec!

Exactly! Not a bad thing to have the 1st snow in December. May stick around for a little while too!

Archived