Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-9 Holiday snow event Observations

Wow

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GunBlade said:

Mets forecasted 6-10” last year on tv and it was a cold rain here with some sleet in the beginning.  The people I work with have never looked at a weather model.  All they know is what the people on tv said.  Even if models weren’t available they’d still be mad.  

Some people just like to complain. 

They live and die by the models just like everyone else I guess. Maybe only the NWS needs access to them.  

11 minutes ago, GunBlade said:

Mets forecasted 6-10” last year on tv and it was a cold rain here with some sleet in the beginning.  The people I work with have never looked at a weather model.  All they know is what the people on tv said.  Even if models weren’t available they’d still be mad.  

Some people just like to complain. 

Weather weenies should never talk to civilians about forecasted winter weather...you’re going to lose that every time. 

Oh, and show me the messsge board genius  that predicted the totals Georgia got today? Did anyone?

Sitting at 33°DP 33° here in Indian Trail, NC with rain. Most of the day we have had rain. Around 1:00pm it started mixing with sleet. By 2:00pm snow mixed in with the rain. There was a 30-45 min period where we were mostly snow. We desperately need the rain here and even though I'm slightly envious of everyone getting slammed, I'm content with what I've had. This was such a great model chase and seeing places in the deep South getting snow has been awesome! 

2 minutes ago, NGTim said:

i did the snow board method, wiped if off about 3 times today, and measured 5.75 inches here in Dahlonega, GA.  There is only around 3.5 to 4 inches on the ground though.  Still coming down.  its been snowing for over 14 hours straight. 

5 on the ground here.  But you did it correctly.  I didn't wipe.  Lol

1 minute ago, MotoWeatherman said:

5 on the ground here.  But you did it correctly.  I didn't wipe.  Lol

it feels like cheating.  i just knew there would be melting.  I'm not sure what to turn into nws in the morning.  I guess its valid, as we report both snowfall as well as depth on the ground.  Glad you saw this, when we see all the reports on facebook and mine may look inflated.    Suches has to be on track to get a foot or more.? They were running in the high 20s when we were sitting at 34 here. 

25 minutes ago, Wow said:

Guys this break between the two waves was forecasted.  the precip will be building back in with the second wave as it develops and builds back inland.

You right about that.  WV pretty well matches all the modeling to extent.  Interesting side note convection seems to be waning over FL. May allow more moisture.

14 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Only problem is the WAA has changed everything to rain, so unless it brings a lot of cold air with it it will melt the little we did get:rolleyes:

The newest HRRR, shows the magic band setting up pretty strongly! We rain for a bit as it starts, then looks to be moderate for a few hours. I think we would see another inch if we are lucky! 33 and cloudy!

Started snowing at 9 a.m.,  and except for a light rain between 3:30 and 4:30, it hasn't stopped.  Very hard with large flakes at 5 p.m.  Temp dropped below freezing after 8 p.m. 3" by 3:30. lost some with the rain, but back over 3: on the deck now. Altogether, over 4" so far, and still falling. Trees and ground covered. No disappointment here. Looking forward to daylight. A Winter Wonderland......

Heavy snow.jpg

21 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I should take a 6 hour nap, see if it's still dry!?

We knew the backend was the only chance we had for accums. That dusting and those silver dollar flakes earlier put us ahead of the game. We're playing with house money. Let's reel it in. If not, we can always ride 20 minutes to TR tomorrow. 

• Wow unpinned this topic

Archived