Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-9 Holiday snow event Observations

Wow

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Ended up with about 10” of snow.  Most since 1993 for me. 

incredible  storm to day say the least 

slept by by the fire last night with no power and a war zone of trees crashing all night.  

Sounds like our night up here.  Glad to see you cashed in after being so close in recent years.

54 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Welp, that's a wrap.  It's still snowing with this last band, but the flakes are really tiny and insignificant.  I don't think we'll add anymore to the accumulation.  We've picked up an extra inch this morning to bring my grand total to 5.5 inches.  (There may have been more, but compaction and melting in between measurements is always hard to gauge.) 

This has been a fantastic way to start off the winter season -- a real early season surprise!  It reminds me of the 1980s, when we had 20+ inches of snow -- it seemed like -- several times that decade.  Getting 5.5 inches this early puts me in a great position to exceed my winter max snowfall at this location (see my signature).  Of course, we may not see a single other flake this winter, but I like our chances.

I was wrong.  This last band is packing a punch!  Really big flakes for about half an hour or so now.  It's beautiful!

1 hour ago, downeastnc said:

yeah lol, my rain gauge has 30" of snow that melted a few thousand feet off the ground in it, I also have huge puddles alll over the yard, some are 3-4" deep does that count at all......

On a serious note though I ended up with 3" of rain with temps in the mid 30's is pretty par for the course here. 

Same story in Wilson.  2.14" of cold rain. 

My in-laws live a little east of Asheville and the mother-in-law works in West Asheville where apparently they got totals approaching 12".  This morning she sent my wife a text asking how much snow we had gotten.  If only they had an emoticon that shows a shaking fist.

Had enough sleet last night and snow this morning for 2 inches but melting fast, even with clouds and mid 30s. Got down to 32 twice but never able to get below freezing. Had I just been 2 measley degrees colder since yest afternoon would of had a real nice pile, even with all the mixing. So close!!

GSP has a list of totals, some pretty impressive ones

18 in Mtn City GA (Rabun County)

18 near Cashiers NC

Biggest report I see for SC is 9 in Marshall (Pickens County). With Brevard and Hendersonville being in double digits though I bet Caesar's Head is close to a foot.

Overall SC really got the shaft unless you were close to the NC border. I did notice GSP set a daily record for yesterday with with 1.6

• Wow unpinned this topic

Archived