Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
December 8-9 Holiday snow event Observations

Wow

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely ridiculous for early December. Looks like even parts of the Florida panhandle saw some snow. I believe that makes all 50 states that have seen snow fall (and even Mexico) and its not even winter yet. That doesn't happen most winters let alone early December. Does anyone know what's the earliest that all 50 states have seen snowfall?

image.jpeg

13 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

Absolutely ridiculous for early December. Looks like even parts of the Florida panhandle saw some snow. I believe that makes all 50 states that have seen snow fall (and even Mexico) and its not even winter yet. That doesn't happen most winters let alone early December. Does anyone know what's the earliest that all 50 states have seen snowfall?

image.jpeg

These pics are from northern Escambia county (North of Pensacola). Reports of 2" in that area of the state!

Sago snow.jpg

Florida snow.jpg

1 hour ago, packfan98 said:

Just south of JBurns I have 1/2" of sloppy cement.  Typical slop storm.  Now if we can get some pretty flakage in a couple of hours with a heavy dusting to 1/2 to make it a little more beautiful...

That would be 1/2" of "sneet". You may have doubled my total. 

Congratulations to all who scored. It just wasn't my turn. 

19 minutes ago, J.C. said:

So which model it this thing the best?  Canadian long range and RGEM short range?

The 3km nam seemingly did best in the short range and with the warm nose. Long range I would say CMC and UK did the best picking up on the track closer to the coast and totals further inland. Euro was late to the game as was the GFS. 

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

The snow here would be melting off the trees too, if only trees grew 5000 ft tall.

yeah lol, my rain gauge has 30" of snow that melted a few thousand feet off the ground in it, I also have huge puddles alll over the yard, some are 3-4" deep does that count at all......

On a serious note though I ended up with 3" of rain with temps in the mid 30's is pretty par for the course here. 

Welp, that's a wrap.  It's still snowing with this last band, but the flakes are really tiny and insignificant.  I don't think we'll add anymore to the accumulation.  We've picked up an extra inch this morning to bring my grand total to 5.5 inches.  (There may have been more, but compaction and melting in between measurements is always hard to gauge.) 

This has been a fantastic way to start off the winter season -- a real early season surprise!  It reminds me of the 1980s, when we had 20+ inches of snow -- it seemed like -- several times that decade.  Getting 5.5 inches this early puts me in a great position to exceed my winter max snowfall at this location (see my signature).  Of course, we may not see a single other flake this winter, but I like our chances.

• Wow unpinned this topic

Archived