Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-9 Holiday snow event Observations

Wow

1 minute ago, FLweather said:

Incredible system to admire.  Systems like this are rarer than a bomb Miller A.  Was expecting that last band to have more steam but oh well.

Yeah, those "backside bands" almost never meet expectations. Jury is still out for this neck of the woods, though. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hammer said:

32/32 here and STILL snowing.
Feel like I am at in-laws in Michigan.

. Pro

Currently a near perfect scene with light snow here. Pretty wild that if it is is still snowing here at  9 am then that will make this a 24 hour snow storm...(not counting the couple of breaks). Wild stuff.

Hard to complain about anything but it's a bit of a shame ground temps  were so warm and surface temps weren't another few degrees colder. Despite being 32/33 all night...lost a fair bit to melting. Imagine the scene if several inches weren't melted 

17 minutes ago, FLweather said:

Incredible system to admire.  Systems like this are rarer than a bomb Miller A.  Was expecting that last band to have more steam but oh well.

Yeah this is one many will never forget and for good reason. Besides the obvious high totals...it's so rare to have a snow event over perform to this degree...and for it to do it over such a huge area and where it did.....it's really something special.  It's a shame that didn't continue for the carolinas outside the mountains though. 

15 minutes ago, EmersonGA said:

Close enough to call it a foot on the elevated surfaces here and it's still snowing.  We lost power at 8:30 last night but the snow is a great insulator.  This vaults past every storm IMBY except the big one in 93.

You're just up the road from me so this jibes with what I'm seeing. We lost power for about 90 minutes last night.

23 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Ok, death band is actually pretty impressive.. Solid moderate snow falling now... temp has dropped 1.5 degree's since it started, and there's already about 1/4 of accumulation added on elevated surfaces.

It's really coming down here..have picked up another 1 maybe 1.5 inches in the past hour and a half...with about an hour to go left. So 2 inches seems reasonable from it. 

5 minutes ago, EmersonGA said:

Close enough to call it a foot on the elevated surfaces here and it's still snowing.  We lost power at 8:30 last night but the snow is a great insulator.  This vaults past every storm IMBY except the big one in 93.

Incredible....I wonder..if someone had told you Tuesday you would get a foot what your reaction would be? Lol

4 minutes ago, WXinCanton said:

I'm at about 10"   still light snow coming down.   I'm about to go snap some pics.    I actually jackpotted on this one!

No doubt 10 fell here but two long lulls and ever so slightly warmer surface temps kept max snow on the ground at 5 inches.....although there is a higher ridge not far from here that I wouldn't be surprised had more than 6. 

So   glad I made the trip though.....still not a flake back in the warm bubble screw zone  from hell. Don't think I could have stomached seeing everyone get all this while I was bathed in 37 degree rain for 24 hours. 

Congrats to all the N. Atl folks on here who cashed in with this storm. I was born and raised in Marietta and remember the Blizzard of 93 as if it happened yesterday. Glad a younger generation just got their version (without the bitter cold and wind of course). Enjoy it while I sit here with nothing but rain and a small pile of sleet on one deck chair, lol.

• Wow unpinned this topic

Archived