Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-9 Holiday snow event Observations

Wow

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On to round THREE here in Northeast ITP (Atlanta) on the top of North Dekalb, at 31.8 and heavy big flakes falling again. 

Round one: 1 hour of sleet and freezing rain starting at 7 am. Snow from 8 am until 2 pm, accumulation 2 inch. rain for an hour after

Round two: 6 hours of heavy wet snow starting at 3 pm, accumulation ~3 inches.

Round three TBD...radar shows what seems like a supercell due south of the snow line. My bet is that I'll get another 3 inches before it's said and done. 

This would be great for a normal storm, but since it's still 12 days before winter is officially here it is UNREAL. I've never experienced anything close to this in all my years here. 

Nice flakes and coating here at the office. Not as impressive as around noon yesterday but been so long since we've seen anything in Peaches I'll take it. 

So crazy the last 36 hours. Pretty much did all the winter grids for the last 3 packages and still ended up way off track. Making forecasts is easy if you accept the model blend and in retrospect, that would have been much better. At least I raised the PoPs way up from guidance lol. Those forecast temps and dewpoints were quite warm in the lowest 500ft. High snowfall rates and diabatic cooling won the day.  

Between briefings for 500+ people, pressure to nail an event on a weekday and the challenge of making forecasts in the final days of pre-automated forecasting world, the joy for winter weather forecasting left a few years ago. You guys are doing it right, keep it fun! 

20171209_030905.jpg

10 inches here in West Asheville and still snowing, 29 degrees, wow what an over producer, Thursday the weather service and 13 news said no bread and milk just a couple of inches at best, wow wow, I know its hard to predict the winter weather in the mountains.

Had mostly rain over night. It would mix with sleet at times but rain predominated. Still have some slush on the deck from yesterday.

Currently temp is right at freezing and I've got a little glaze now building on the railing.

Hoping this area can score a little snow with that secondary band. RAP/HRRR show >1" so we'll see. 

• Wow unpinned this topic

Archived