Newest Member
    joxey
December 8-9 Holiday snow event Observations

Wow

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cheeznado said:

Gorgeous heavy snow now- nice fat flakes. At this rate we may pick up several inches before it ends towards dawn. This may end up being in my top 10 snow events here in Atlanta since 1982.....

Easily in the northwest burbs.  Someone will have a foot by tomorrow morning.

3 minutes ago, Cheeznado said:

Gorgeous heavy snow now- nice fat flakes. At this rate we may pick up several inches before it ends towards dawn. This may end up being in my top 10 snow events here in Atlanta since 1982.....

3km NAM seems to be handling this one well.  It forecast what seems to be a bit of a cutoff here in 1-2 hours til the upper trof comes across.  It has snow deeper into the morning there than the HRRR or RGEM which end it at 11Z

Well, I've wound up with 1.25 inches of sleet/snow when measuring the car top.  The sleet and 33 degree surface temps really killed any good accumulation, but i'm not complaining.  It appears we are in a lull now and have to hope for the redevelopment later tonight to score a few more inches

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

3km NAM seems to be handling this one well.  It forecast what seems to be a bit of a cutoff here in 1-2 hours til the upper trof comes across.  It has snow deeper into the morning there than the HRRR or RGEM which end it at 11Z

So really, I shouldn't be concerned about that huge dry slot aiming at GSP!? Something is going to blow up mor precip!? Cause on the meso models, that's a thin band of wraparound!?

Pretty wild how well GA has fared with this one.  It's dense, wet, slush snow on the ground with sleet mixing in during light episodes.  I'm loving this weather during the holiday season with a crackling fire by my Christmas tree.  Going to watch a movie now with a bourbon. ;)

About an 1.5” of slop in my hood but 3 miles to the north has 3” and 3 miles to the south has a trace-pretty amazing in such a short distance.  No roads have been treated so cars are sliding off Hwy 16 bypass north of 73.

Mix of sleet and snow and 31 out right now.

1 minute ago, LKN WX said:

About an 1.5” of slop in my hood but 3 miles to the north has 3” and 3 miles to the south has a trace-pretty amazing in such a short distance.  No roads have been treated so cars are sliding off Hwy 16 bypass north of 73.

Mix of sleet and snow and 31 out right now.

Just drove home from dinner at northcross, where it was just raining. Got back to davidson where it was sleeting huge pellets.

6 minutes ago, SharonA said:

Didn't Atlanta get whacked with well over a foot in the 1993 storm?  That was before I moved here ...

Airport I think only got 4.  I have heard some mets over the years at conferences etc. say they think the measurement was bad but I think the south side towns only had 2-3 so it may not have been far off.  The north side got over 8 I believe

22 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

So really, I shouldn't be concerned about that huge dry slot aiming at GSP!? Something is going to blow up mor precip!? Cause on the meso models, that's a thin band of wraparound!?

We are done. Precip is over. Watch us be sitting at 40-45 degrees by morning.

• Wow unpinned this topic

Archived