Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-9 Holiday snow event Observations

Wow

3 minutes ago, Wow said:

Good to hear from ya E.T.B.  Seems like we only hear from you during a good snow.  Here in Mooresville the sleet has put down a thin icy layer that can do a number on the roads that the wet snow can't.  Still in a sleet/half melted snow fall right now.  Only an inch or two of snowfall but it's a very compact, wet snow.

Thanks.  I read a lot and post little, but enjoy the boards.  You are correct about the sleet and what it does to the roads.  Good luck on getting more snow the rest of the way with this one.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Gone over to some sleet snow mix even up here in Danville...

Yes we have, it's all sleet for me right now. I wonder  if it's going to be sleet for the rest of the night or if it will go back over at some point. Pretty light rates right now as well. 

3 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I know I've overperformed, with my dusting and all, but that dry slot! I'm at 34 and afraid an our or two of nothing could let the temps rise some, before the "band" swings through later? Sleet currently 

Mack, this event is a great appetizer for things to come - I expect one or more great CAD events this winter - maybe before Jan 1st!

52 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Starting to worry about power outages in the areas who are lucking out in western NC. This stuff is caked on all the trees like ZR.

about 20,000 without power last I heard down here. 

Correction...40,000

22 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Wow congrats to you and all the n ga folks. This is a historical storm for those areas

No doubt...probably about 5 inches currently..with moderate snow and huge fatties.  lost an inch at least earlier with a long lull and slight warm up. Expecting another 3 or 4 If models are right. 

More

Mike Dross: Twitter:

1 hour ago, griteater said:

It's looks like both the HRRR and the NAM 3km pivot the precip shield and back-build the trailing large band overnight and swing it through overnight and into the AM

Strong short wave will re-ignite snow across AL/GA/NC/SC late tonight/AM. Additional 2-4" likely.

5 minutes ago, Lookout said:

about 20,000 without power last I heard down here. 

No doubt...probably about 5 inches currently..with moderate snow and huge fatties.  lost an inch at least earlier with a long lull and slight warm up. Expecting another 3 or 4 If models are right. 

Just had a large pine tree fall across the street near my parents house. THis is getting interesting. I'll take a pic and post it here in a bit.

7 minutes ago, Lookout said:

This is really incredible, I cannot remember a storm like this that overperformed to the high side......I’m as big a snow weenie as the rest and even I wasn’t really all too excited about this event.  I expected the typical splatting rain with a changeover late tonight giving maybe a dusting.  We’ve all seen this before here a million times.  The postmortem on this storm will be interesting especially considering how early in the year it is.

4 minutes ago, jshetley said:

That's the end of it in SC then. Got to wait for the next event I guess. 

Well ive seen it snow since 1230 today. Got a quick inch then lost half of it..then just got back to an inch. Im terribly satisfied considering the date and trhe previous decade!

• Wow unpinned this topic

Archived