SnowHabit
December 8-9 Holiday snow event Observations

Wow

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Yeah...this  band is killing it. 

Just east of the dawson county line in western hall county off Highway 53...ffc is going to have to significantly increase their totals because of  this band. Crazy to think where we are now vs a few days ago. 

Sweet that should be a fantastic location. I saw gsp’s update a little while ago and was dubious. Not so much now. The snow intensity and long lasting nature is freaking awesome 

7 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

After about an hour of snow/sleet... we have flipped back to all snow and the flakes look a lot more fluffy. Radar also looks awesome for the upstate over the next few hours. Hrrr keeps things interesting all the way through tomorrow morning... I'm starting to think I could get 5 or 6 inches from this. Sitting at 1/2 inch of snow/sleet at the moment

Yeah, starting to see bigger and more flakes but still dripping. Warm nose seems to have really eroded so that is good news. You're right,  radar looks great and we could still end up with a little something if we can stay away from the nose awhile a freaking drop one more degree!

3 minutes ago, mikepie said:

I'm near Hartsfield Airport (2 miles North in East Point) and it is really coming down hard now. I think we've overcome the warm layer (I hope for good). 

I just went back to mainly IP in Dunwoody, so we'll see. It seems to be bouncing back and forth right over the metro.

1 minute ago, griteater said:

Question on that back band in the early morning is how far south it extends....could be well down in to the upstate or it could be mainly in western NC moving east

Yeah they're always hard to predict and not well modeled... but the good news is all the mesoscale models show a very large band that extends a good ways into SC and possibly GA which would be good for a lot of people if it verifies.

1 minute ago, griteater said:

Question on that back band in the early morning is how far south it extends....could be well down in to the upstate or it could be mainly in western NC moving east

Another big question is how the battle line gets drawn overnight. Does the precip hold? Does the RN/SN line fluxuate? Stay fairly stationary?

Just now, Tar Heel Snow said:

Another big question is how the battle line gets drawn overnight. Does the precip hold? Does the RN/SN line fluxuate? Stay fairly stationary?

Tar Heel, if you look at WRAL's iControl radar it is pretty accurate for showing the rain/sleet/snow line

20 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

After about an hour of snow/sleet... we have flipped back to all snow and the flakes look a lot more fluffy. Radar also looks awesome for the upstate over the next few hours. Hrrr keeps things interesting all the way through tomorrow morning... I'm starting to think I could get 5 or 6 inches from this. Sitting at 1/2 inch of snow/sleet at the moment

Yea it stinks the quick inch we picked up is now down to .5"

9 minutes ago, a5ehren said:

I just went back to mainly IP in Dunwoody, so we'll see. It seems to be bouncing back and forth right over the metro.

It’s a tough call.  After 03-04Z it’s all snow for sure but prior to that it could waffle.  I’m having a tough time forecasting it.  I do think the band that almost all models show rotating through 04-12Z may have surprise amounts with it though 

• Wow unpinned this topic

Archived