Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-9 Holiday snow event Observations

Wow

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lookout said:

beautiful shots on the news this morning. Folks in ms must be in awe right now...radar looks impressive there. 

looks like you could be in the sweet spot with this one. 

Don't jinx me.  Lol. Steady snow and closing in on 1/2 inch

14 minutes ago, Amos83 said:

@Wow, yeah I was just looking at that. Nice to see the 925mb temps already falling. Hopefully that bodes well for us as the heavier precip moves in later on.

I can confirm that I ran into a bit of sleet around 7:30a this morning in Davidson as I pulled into work. 

Huh. I was literally outside with my dogs then. Must've missed it on the north side. 

2 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Huh. I was literally outside with my dogs then. Must've missed it on the north side. 

It wasn't anything to get excited over... just some pingers mixed in with some light right/drizzle. quickly moved out. Most likely had to do with precip falling through the initial dry air. when I was out a bit a go it was just drizzle.

6 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

sounding for hr 8 under heavy precip, a strong warm nose around 850, dont see this falling as snow. btw, i think your area and western nc will do very well with this storm, enjoy it!

hrrr_2017120812_fh8_sounding_KCLT.png

I could make an argument that's a snow sounding.

8 minutes ago, Wow said:

Without any CAD, our areas are going to need a little more help with time and possibly heavier precip rates to aid in dragging down the colder air which isn't that far up.

Don't think that will be much concern as long as what's currently over MS AL LA verifies.  If it don't dry up. 

1 minute ago, DopplerWx said:

if it verifies verbatim then it would be very close, but would require heavy precip and when was the last time we had 850s verify colder than progged? usually the models underdo it even short range.

850mb temps currently -2 over CLT. I can't see that strong of a nose working in from a system like this.

11 minutes ago, Wow said:

850mb temps currently -2 over CLT. I can't see that strong of a nose working in from a system like this.

The 925 is questionable though.  Seems to be very shallow warmer air.  I’ve watched 850’s be -1 to -3 but watched the 925 bulge right up into Charlotte and screw us.  Just west and just north east it’s snowing.  I always worry about that in these scenarios.  It’s such a fine line and it loves to set itself up right here. 

59A61FC7-28D6-4991-80D9-CF531B73E72D.jpeg

• Wow unpinned this topic

Archived