Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-9 Holiday snow event Observations

Wow

11 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Very cool. Good for them. This is a unique system.

I know right. Very unusual system. Honestly def under modeled for them.  The videos she posted showed quarter to half dollar size flakes.

On the other hand cloudy and coolish here.  65 ATM.  Waiting on my storms later tonight.  Under a slight risk.  Mainly high wind threat potentially up to 2 inches.  Let it snow let it snow.  Let it rain rain rain. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lookout said:

You should see some for sure. Just checking the nam soundings for your location, unless that warm nose is further north or warmer than expected, you look to stay all snow. That warm nose from 725 to 825mb does flirt with you much of the day (within 1 degree through a large part of the column)  per nam but given the nature of these things don't be shocked if you see some sleet at times...especially when it's lighter. Will be interesting to see where that transition sets up exactly. 

you are exactly right.  i hear sleet pellets hitting the window already.  i think when the heavier returns get here, we should switch to snow.

4 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Nice snowy 41 here in Raleigh.  Need to get that dynamic cooling machine cranked up.  Guess we need that dynamic precipitation machine cranked up first!

It's coming. All that in LA MS AL GA coming your way. Current WV.  Last few frames show increase in moisture and more of a northerly NW push with the clouds. 

19 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Ripping fatties in west Atlanta metro

gonna be a big day it seems 

radar is really impressive. A solid 1 to 3 looks like a sure thing now but it's hard to think there won't be  more in spots....especially west/north of town based on surface reports and radar. I've been skeptical of the surface warming on some of the models and i'm even more skeptical now.  It's hard to picture surface temps being much above 32 most  of the day with such consistent and heavy precip..unless there is a lull this afternoon. 03km nam has been showing temps at and BELOW freezing all day just west of town toward carrollton, cedartown, etc with the metro being at 32/33. we are also lucky that this is happening where solar insolation is the weakest all year. I imagine if this was Feb or march there wouldn't be any accumulations outside the mountains at all. 

6 minutes ago, Wow said:

925mb temp falling over the NC piedmont. You can see the warm nose over upstate SC.

current analysis:

H7BRi4M.png

@Wow, yeah I was just looking at that. Nice to see the 925mb temps already falling. Hopefully that bodes well for us as the heavier precip moves in later on.

I can confirm that I ran into a bit of sleet around 7:30a this morning in Davidson as I pulled into work. 

• Wow unpinned this topic

Archived