Weathernoob335
December 8-9 Holiday snow event Observations

Wow

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The 06Z FFC sounding had a crazy warm layer 680-815mb that was not on any model

hmmm...last few runs of the nam had a pretty strong one starting around 700mb getting pretty close to there and more bullish with each run...with the last few runs creeping it further north 

39 minutes ago, oconeexman said:

Guys and gals plz add your location when putting your obs in...thanks

Currently 41/40 here and just cloudy...will be heading up to western hall county around 830 to 900am...i always enjoy running through the transition zone. radar looks awfully nice...especially for nw ga. Models have been way too wet here so far though. It's hardly rained at all (there was some rain/sleet around 2am but thats about it) where as the models where showing a half inch liquid by now..looks like it's all to the west of here. 

4 minutes ago, Lookout said:

hmmm...last few runs of the nam had a pretty strong one starting around 700mb getting pretty close to there and more bullish with each run...with the last few runs creeping it further north 

Currently 41/40 here and just cloudy...will be heading up to western hall county around 830 to 900am...i always enjoy running through the transition zone. radar looks awfully nice...especially for nw ga. Models have been way too wet here so far though. It's hardly rained at all (there was some rain/sleet around 2am but thats about it) where as the models where showing a half inch liquid by now..looks like it's all to the west of here. 

Models always seem to struggle when it comes to banding events. The QPF maps are always too broad with the heavier amounts, when in reality the heavier amounts end up in a very narrow swath.

1 minute ago, jrips27 said:

34 degrees and beautiful flakes in Emerson, GA. Took a little drive from Kennesaw and it switched over 5 miles from my house. Beautiful out there. 

beautiful shots on the news this morning. Folks in ms must be in awe right now...radar looks impressive there. 

Just now, MotoWeatherman said:

Steady snow in Dahlonega.  Let the fun begin.

looks like you could be in the sweet spot with this one. 

14 minutes ago, jrips27 said:

34 degrees and beautiful flakes in Emerson, GA. Took a little drive from Kennesaw and it switched over 5 miles from my house. Beautiful out there. 

I noticed the same thing.   By the time I got to Glade road it was mostly rain. The wife said it's sticking in the grass now.

8 minutes ago, Lookout said:

beautiful shots on the news this morning. Folks in ms must be in awe right now...radar looks impressive there. 

looks like you could be in the sweet spot with this one. 

agreed for sure, precipitation looks to be training right towards dahlonega.  primo spot to be in.

im in dunwoody/sandy springs, do you think i need to drive up 400 towards dahlonega to see snow or I can stay put here?

10 minutes ago, neatlburbwthrguy said:

agreed for sure, precipitation looks to be training right towards dahlonega.  primo spot to be in.

im in dunwoody/sandy springs, do you think i need to drive up 400 towards dahlonega to see snow or I can stay put here?

You should see some for sure. Just checking the nam soundings for your location, unless that warm nose is further north or warmer than expected, you look to stay all snow. That warm nose from 725 to 825mb does flirt with you much of the day (within 1 degree through a large part of the column)  per nam but given the nature of these things don't be shocked if you see some sleet at times...especially when it's lighter. Will be interesting to see where that transition sets up exactly. 

• Wow unpinned this topic

Archived