Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8/9 wave

psuhoffman

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

since were analyzing the NAM, at 500 i guess it does appear to be holding back into the gulf, and is not out in front of the vort over the Great Lakes (18z).  Not sure if it is a continuation of slowing the second piece of energy in the Gulf, and how that might look by tomorrow??

Nut

We got one good trend but it's offset by another bad one. Yesterday I said we needed the second wave to be more dominant. That was because the energy diving into the trough was sharpening it up over time. We got that trend. But the benefit of that is offset by the northern stream energy coming in further north and instead of digging in behind the system and helping to pull it up its coming down on top of it and squashing it. 

38 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Like this

download.jpeg

Before us we find "NAM, at 500 (failure, in the short range)."  Pencil, 2017.  Though it seems an abstract, the artist takes advantage of mathematical principles to paint a clear picture that incorporates both atmospheric feedback, and fortune.  We see, for instance, among the curves, a polar vortex descending, angrily, from the top of the frame.  A sharp trough, reminiscent of Constable's 'Animals feeding from a dry, cold trough', falls below the vortex, pushing off the falling precipitation, suggested so intelligently by the artist's circumbulent pencil strokes to the right of the image; in the bottom left, an open circle suggestive of low pressure, is about to be shunted off the frame.  And in the middle, the artist has left empty space, to remind us of the likely outcome of this prediction, a snow hole, if you will.

Looking over the runs (GFS, EURO) from tonight and I could probably cut and paste for the most part what I wrote the night before. Models are fairly locked in with the trough dropping into the lakes and the ridging in the Atlantic thus the boundary between precip/no precip has seen very little change. You could for the most part follow what fell overnight to get a feel where that boundary has set up. Have seen very little to warrant optimism in this coming Fri/Sat period for the DC/Balt corridor except for the possibility of a passing sprinkle. Place the trough and associated low in the lakes just about anywhere else and I would feel a little more optimistic but for now it is located in a prime spot for screwing up what little chance we have.

But I am a 'glass half full' sort of guy so I will stick to the positives I did see which means no discussion of the GFS will be forthcoming because it was a big fat, in your face, NO. Nor will I discuss the trough/GL low which the models seem to be locked into at this time. Which leaves the Euro and how it is handling the coastal to this point. As I have mentioned before what we need to see is a distinct low form and intensify within this trough of low pressure off the coast and not just strung out POS lower pressures streaming through it. The quicker and farther south it forms and intensifies the better our chances increase. In that regard the Euro did improve even though that is not evident when looking at the precip maps on either the op or ensembles. We are seeing both the op and ensembles coming in slower with the coastal low (roughly 3-6 hours maybe a touch more?) vs the 12z run thus intensification is beginning a touch further south. With this slower progression we are also seeing a slight adjustment westward of the track as the low runs up the coast. Now the Euro has been trending over the last few runs to slow the coastal's progression down. If we can somehow squeeze out another 12 hour or so delay (and a continuation of the farther south intensification of the low) in the coming runs then I would say there is a decent chance the DC/Balt corridor comes into play barring any somewhat major changes to the general setup currently shown. Problem with hoping for that is time is running out and to expect any major changes from this point forward on the Euro is normally a bad bet.

Now you can file this away as a weenism if you wish but one other possible positive is a bias that the Euro has been shown to have quite frequently. And that is to underplay total precip and the NW extent of the precip shield. The stronger more organized the low, the more pronounced this bias can be. Now whether this may possibly come into play I guess we will see.

All in all though, odds of this amounting to anything for our region are low in my mind. But you never know so I will continue to track as well as follow pressure drops at game time because as a great hero once told me.....

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Looks like the GFS isn’t done with the ole weenie catch and release yet.

200w.gif

That is actually a pretty significant change with how it handles the coastal low and a move towards the Euro. Will be curious as to what the ensembles show. If they follow the ops lead we should see a much better look on them. 

The 6z GEFS has followed the GFS op run. Slower progression with the coastal and quicker intensification. Track has adjusted westward a little as well. Looking at the precip/snowfall means and members show a fairly significant improvement as well. What is noteworthy is we are seeing a much better expansion westward of the precip field on most of the members. Nice run and trend to see after what we have seen over the last day or two of runs.

34 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

A notable change for sure. My yard is out of the game but i95 +se has no reason to fold yet

We have been out of the game for quite awhile now (north and west of the cities). My tracking this has been more for rooting for my old stomping grounds. 

I tell you what though. Seeing the GFS/GEFS move towards the Euro solution on the low has perked up my interest a touch. See them both come in a little slower with better intensification over the coming runs and maybe I will have to reevaluate my thoughts on this.

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

We have been out of the game for quite awhile now (north and west of the cities). My tracking this has been more for rooting for my old stomping grounds. 

I tell you what though. Seeing the GFS/GEFS move towards the Euro solution on the low has perked up my interest a touch. See them both come in a little slower with better intensification over the coming runs and maybe I will have to reevaluate my thoughts on this.

You were quite bullish on this storm a few days ago. Maybe you will be shown to be right after all!

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

The 6z GEFS has followed the GFS op run. Slower progression with the coastal and quicker intensification. Track has adjusted westward a little as well. Looking at the precip/snowfall means and members show a fairly significant improvement as well. What is noteworthy is we are seeing a much better expansion westward of the precip field on most of the members. Nice run and trend to see after what we have seen over the last day or two of runs.

Hey if we are going to attempt to resurrect this thing, lets go full bore..

Did you notice the increased PWAT on the 6z GEFS ?!

Archived