Newest Member
    joxey
December 8/9 wave

psuhoffman

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RDM said:

Indeed 9/10 seems like ancient history, as does 16.  Believe me, nobody here wants a good dump more than I do (and I do mean snow).  My avatar should help convey that.  When we get enough to plow I'm out for 6-8 hours or more plowing everyone in the neighborhood.

The collective will of this forum is a powerful thing... Great to see things come west with the track.  Hope it holds true...

Pretty amazing how much brine NVA VDOT has applied already.  Nearly the entire way home along Rt 28, the toll road, Hunter Mill and Lawyers Rd is brined already. 

Dale City has been Brined to death.

4 minutes ago, Jebman said:

Dale City has been Brined to death.

VDOT is just too proactive for their own good...  Next they will be brining public parking lots.  Pretty amazing the Chesapeake environmentalists put up with all the runoff issues generated by the brine.  Plus the impact on roads, vehicles and equipment.  It's akin to liquid rust.  All this and it makes the snow melt!  Just ain't right to go against mother nature like that! 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

This is kinda nuts man. First chance after a flip from warm to cold is panning out. Quick starts are pretty rare. 

i dont remember seeing an event that gave us 0 snow at 6z  and a snowstorm at 00z....1.5 days before the  storm outside of Jan 25,2000.....i mean i really cant think  of any

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

i dont remember seeing an event that gave us 0 snow at 6z  and a snowstorm at 00z....1.5 days before the  storm outside of Jan 25,2000.....i mean i really cant think  of any

I can't think of one either. Jan 2010 was a pretty good upside surprise at short range but IIRC we were expecting a light event from a couple days out. 

Eta: the really unique thing about this one is that all models showed nothing for days then all of a sudden... I think the navgem is going to score a coup here. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I can't think of one either. Jan 2010 was a pretty good upside surprise at short range but IIRC we were expecting a light event from a couple days out. 

Eta: the really unique thing about this one is that all models showed nothing for days then all of a sudden... I think the navgem is going to score a coup here. 

A case of being right for the wrong reasons. It happens. WAR is beefy.

13 minutes ago, Ji said:

That's why I can't hop on board and be as excited as most.  I'm looking at a slushy inch, if that.

1 hour ago, ATreglown said:

I became interested at a very young age and did a lot of reading from... omg... books. It was Hurricane Hazel that occurred well before I was born, but heard many stories about it from family that actually experienced it. But then the internet became available, and I have been a weather enthusiast ever since!! Totally an addictive hobby, that requires hours of model watching and just as much patience living in the MA!!! Sorry, can be moved to banter. I was just adding to the why I like weather conversation.

February 19, 1979. Amazing snow! Drifts in excess of 7 feet! Everyone was on foot. I was absolutely OBSESSED with the snow after that. I stacked snow so damn high that neighbors got embarrassed to tears. My parents have been embarrassed ever since. I'm 53 now and I will never learn.

Nothing in life is as important, as tracking the snow, jebwalking in the snow and digging snow with a Jebman-Grade shovel and piling it meters high, and putting the snowblowing and plowing business people into bankruptcy and out on the street with only a t-shirt, in 10 degree weather with a 35 mph NE breeze.

Archived