SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8/9 wave

psuhoffman

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think judging by our past storms, this will keep on trending NW. 

I remember the disappointment at realizing the March 2017 storm was gonna be as bad as it was, with us getting 2-4" of slop, and others 2-3 feet of snow. I wish I could archive more storms that went NW on guidance within 24 hours, but I'm already procrastinating, I should be studying

Just now, Cobalt said:

I think judging by our past storms, this will keep on trending NW. 

I remember the disappointment at realizing the March 2017 storm was gonna be as bad as it was, with us getting 2-4" of slop, and others 2-3 feet of snow. I wish I could archive more storms that went NW on guidance within 24 hours, but I'm already procrastinating, I should be studying

I just think we might have reached the max NW push.  Only because that NS system is not gone.  Now maybe a stronger LP could throw back more precip.  But I didn't think we would get to this point so disregard.

Just now, BristowWx said:

I just think we might have reached the max NW push.  Only because that NS system is not gone.  Now maybe a stronger LP could throw back more precip.  But I didn't think we would get to this point so disregard.

Would be potential for NW push if the storm phased more. Could be possible, but I'd be very surprised if it phased fully

4 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Would be potential for NW push if the storm phased more. Could be possible, but I'd be very surprised if it phased fully

It's not phasing as all. The NS vort is a kicker. There will be an area of subsidence between the 2 features and that's where the precip cutoff will be. The reason for the NW push is because the NS vort has shifted NW as well. If the NS vort speeds up there will be an east trend. 

4 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

NAVGEM got you spooked huh

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

It's not phasing as all. The NS vort is a kicker. There will be an area of subsidence between the 2 features and that's where the precip cutoff will be. The reason for the NW push is because the NS vort has shifted NE as well. If the NS vort speeds up there will be an east trend. 

Oh, ok. I was referencing a PhillyWx.com twitter post regarding partial phasing. My bad

1 hour ago, Cobalt said:

Yeah. I can't wait until I'm 40 and models can hopefully be more reliable within 3 days. Kinda would take some of the magic out of forums like these though, since we'd know when most storms are gonna miss or give us rain. Blizzard of 2016 was amazing though

I think we'd still be having the same conversations.  We'd just be having them further in advance.  "It seems like the next threat is always 10 15 days away..."  "I know it's the 84 132 hour NAM, but..."

For something more on-topic, I've started looking at temp profiles.  850s look good, but the GFS now has the 0C line running right along the coast.  Another shift west and some areas east of the bay could find themselves on the wrong side of the line.

Surface temps are probably the greatest risk, but you can see the storm pulling down cold air at the surface.  As the track has shifted west and the coastal low has taken over from the Great Lakes low, surface winds along I95 have shifted from southerly to northerly.  As a result, areas near the coast are predicted to be cooler at the surface than areas inland.  You can see this clearly on the last 5 runs of the GFS.  On Saturday afternoon, Salisbury could be colder than Hagerstown.

9PpXdeK.gif

2 minutes ago, RDM said:

20+ pages since this morning on this "event" that wouldn't have scratched an itch in 09/10.  God we're hopeless.  Note I said "we" there...  Caught a few glimpses of the dialog and shift in the track throughout the day as much as work would permit. 

9/10 was a long time ago...I went from nothing to 3 inches in 12 hours...that isn't hopeless

A buddy from work who moved to San Antonio, TX just posted some pictures and video on FB of snow coming down and he has a healthy dusting already!   If this turns out to be a wiff for the Mid-Atlantic I will be pissed!!

And in case you were wondering, he moved back to Texas because he doesn't like snow!!!

TX_Snow.jpg

Archived