Newest Member
    joxey
December 8/9 wave

psuhoffman

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WxUSAF said:

LWX upped their snow maps to 1" just N/W of 95, <1" runs Frederick-Leesburg.

http://www.weather.gov/lwx/winter

They have no more than 1" anywhere in Virginia, while they have 4-6" in SE New England. They're probably skeptical of it being too warm to initially stick, or they're waiting for evening Euro again

18 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

Yes, I don't know how it performs in Canada, but south of the border, it tends to be too cold. 

Agree 100%. You cannot trust the RGEM's surface temps. It has totally blown it multiple times on marginal events. It sucked with last year's "big event". Ukie nailed that one. None of us wanted to believe it because it was the only model with above freezing 850's all the way to FDK but it was right. 

34 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

They have no more than 1" anywhere in Virginia, while they have 4-6" in SE New England. They're probably skeptical of it being too warm to initially stick, or they're waiting for evening Euro again

I wouldn't go any higher until 0z runs for now.  Smart move for them.  Better to increase than decrease.

8 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I thought my theory had failed, but it seems it was in fact correct here. Glad I had some optimistic people during those dark 2 days 

Giving up outside of 24 hours prior to scheduled start time is a mistake around here. The models just aren't that good yet. Likewise,  assuming anything is in the bag outside of 24 hours is probably a greater mistake. Once inside 24 hours,  I can understand.  Not that it still can't fail or come back, but it starts to become reasonable at that point to jump imho.

Just now, mitchnick said:

Giving up outside of 24 hours prior to scheduled start time is a mistake around here. The models just aren't that good yet. Likewise,  assuming anything is in the bag outside of 24 hours is probably a greater mistake. Once inside 24 hours,  I can understand.  Not that it still can't fail or come back, but it starts to become reasonable at that point to jump.

Yeah. I can't wait until I'm 40 and models can hopefully be more reliable within 3 days. Kinda would take some of the magic out of forums like these though, since we'd know when most storms are gonna miss or give us rain. Blizzard of 2016 was amazing though

5 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Yeah. I can't wait until I'm 40 and models can hopefully be more reliable within 3 days. Kinda would take some of the magic out of forums like these though, since we'd know when most storms are gonna miss or give us rain. Blizzard of 2016 was amazing though

Son, enjoy your youth, never do anything that requires you to hire a lawyer, and never wish your life away...not even for snow.

8 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I wouldn't go any higher until 0z runs for now.  Smart move for them.  Better to increase than decrease.

Exactly. Coming out right now and saying 3-5" would create mass panic and a run on toilet paper and such. lol. If 0z holds serve they can put up some headlines in the wee hours. That's plenty of lead time. Plus it's happening on a weekend so there's no rush hour/schools to consider. 

11 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Son, enjoy your youth, never do anything that requires you to hire a lawyer, and never wish your life away.

Thank you for the advice. I wasn't wishing to be older just to be older, I was wishing to be older for the progression of accuracy of weather guidance. I very much appreciate the advice though

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

Thank you for the advice. I wasn't wishing to be older just to be older, I was wishing to be older for the progression of accuracy of weather guidance. I very much appreciate the advice though

Laser precision at long leads would completely destroy this hobby. Luckily I'll be dead long before that happens. 

Archived