Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8/9 wave

psuhoffman

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, H2O said:

I'm with @mappy  I've lost count the # of times there's been a storm like this with iffy temps.  My area always looks great and unless I get rates it either white rains or melts on contact.

Very skeptical and thats because I know my climo

We aren't usually on the NW side on those, though.  Given the cold upper-air, I'm not really too concerned at the surface.  We can accumulate at 33ish.

I'm supposed to be in Philly Saturday evening with some buddies for a concert.  

option 1) change nothing and drive up 95 around lunch Saturday in the white rain

option 2) panic and leave friday night because 3-6" of juicy powder is gonna turn the megalopolis into a december winter wonderland

This is banter, I apologize.

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

We aren't usually on the NW side on those, though.  Given the cold upper-air, I'm not really too concerned at the surface.  We can accumulate at 33ish.

Dec 5th 2009.  higher elevations did better than me and it was a marginal temp event.  I had a dusting and 2 miles away had 2"

1 minute ago, H2O said:

Dec 5th 2009.  higher elevations did better than me and it was a marginal temp event.  I had a dusting and 2 miles away had 2"

I was just thinking of that one. First snow in the new home...I was expecting some wet flakes and perhaps a slushting, but ended up with about 3" or so of mashed potatoes on raised surfaces.

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Time to break out another WxWatcher Special: The Mid-Atlantic Fraud Five. If you're relying on any of these for a significant event you're on shaky ground. 

1. Rates
2. Ratios
3. Thundersnow
4. Marginal Temps (not CAD we do well there)
5. Last Second Trend 

I actually think we're good here. Like MN Transplant said, we're on the NW side of this one with cold air in place. Also, I don't think anyone is expecting a siggy event. 

Easy for you to say when a bird can fart up in Jackpotsville and you'll have deck pics of 2-4". 

We've had more recent good trends during winter. Last season we snatched some measurable events at the very last second. That was after they trended in the wrong direction, but it was measurable nonetheless :P 

trying too hard

FWIW, althought its about time to transition to the Ops vs the ENS...the GEFS precip map looks rather similar to the King's Op.  

Just looking for trends/continuity. 

Heck this morning i was waving to y'all while smoking cirrus

now i can smell it

with a little more luck, i may get to see it too.... 

Carry on...

Nut 

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

RGEM looks east for us. Looks real good NYC/Boston. Probably 3-6 up that way.

it would be nice to have all the m,odels in the same camp (so we could stress over all of them, I guess!  lol), but the RGEM, for whatever reason, has been lousy since the 14/15 winter. But it's at the end of it's run so there's that too.

10 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

CMC is just ok...light stuff on the outer fringe where we are...destroys NYC and BOS tho  

EDIT:  Maybe i'm looking at the wrong damn map  :rolleyes:

remember how good it felt yesterday to have the CMC in our camp and the euro not?

Archived