Newest Member
    joxey
December 8/9 wave

psuhoffman

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cobalt said:

Hopefully this is a continuous trend. I wouldn't be surprised if 1 or 2 runs shifts is SE by a tad, but overall it moves NW. I'm glad the GFS trended in the right direction though :lol:

i actually think you have potentially 1-2 more runs NW until the SE adjustment.  We've seen this before. Not saying it happens though.  

Just now, pasnownut said:

i actually think you have potentially 1-2 more runs NW until the SE adjustment.  We've seen this before. Not saying it happens though.  

Its typically NW trend up until the storm actually happens, then the precip shield isn't as far West as predicted, so we need it as NW as we can get it (this is a good start though)

1 minute ago, high risk said:

TT now plots the model change in snow depth, which accounts for more reasonable SLRs and the potential for snow to not efficiently stick.    With the marginal temps and rations likely less than 10:1, you can see that it's less generous (although still gets most of us in the game).

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 10.50.08 AM.png

do you think there is room for another tick NW?  Based on what you see with the NS interaction and the better organized LP off the coast. Just curious.

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

do you think there is room for another tick NW?  Based on what you see with the NS interaction and the better organized LP off the coast. Just curious.

The most important thing on the GFS run that allowed the backing of the precip field is the NS vort being a little slower. Slow it down another 25-50 miles or so and the more significant precip will likely encroach I95. 

I don't know if anyone recalls, but it was the Euro 8 days ago that first caught this thing and had on the day 10 map a beautiful storm of the east coast with heavy snow. Of course, it backed down the next run, but would be wild if it turns out that 10 day forecast was more right than wrong despite all the changes between then and now.

Just now, mitchnick said:

I don't know if anyone recalls, but it was the Euro 8 days ago that first caught this thing and had on the day 10 map a beautiful storm of the east coast with heavy snow. Of course, it backed down the next run, but would be wild if it turns out that 10 day forecast was more right than wrong despite all the changes between then and now.

That run looked a lot like yesterday's UKMET.  I'll be interested to see which way the UK goes shortly.  

Most of our storms trend NW, and so I'm hoping this is like all the others. March 14 2017 storm, early Jan 2017event, that late Feb 2015 event, the disappointing Super Bowl 2015 storm, T-day 2014 storm. All of these trended NW within 48 hours. Some ended in disappointment with snow-rain events, but some others such as the late Feb 2015 event went from a non-event for us to 1-3" of snow. It's happened before, it might happen again

39 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Absolutely! And almost fringe folks.. need to remember they could get fringed! I am at least thinking now I see some flurries.... well maybe! LOL! 

Archived