322 PM EST Fri Dec 8 2017

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM SATURDAY TO 6 AM EST
SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Plan on difficult travel
  conditions. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 7 inches are
  expected.

* WHERE...Portions of southern Connecticut and Eastern Long
  Island.

* WHEN...From 4 AM Saturday to 6 AM EST Sunday.

That's close to the new record.

Upcoming ~110 m/s jet over Newfoundland and western N Atlantic on 10 DEC could set the 250-hPa wind speed record for that location (1979-2016 CFSR), w/ 250-hPa standardized wind speed anomalies >4σ. pic.twitter.com/zfzu4FQrPn
View photo ·    
I don’t understand why they’re always so conservative. It’s a Saturday people shouldn’t be driving anyway just stay home and enjoy the snow. Especially in nyc I think a winter storm warning is warranted with up to 6 inches. I’d say a general 4-8 for nyc 

they have 2-4 no model shows that and this system is becoming dynamic

It's so much easier to up a forecast than to back pedal and lower it in terms of public opinion. Most of the time over forecasting costs much more economically than under forecasting (think of the blizzard prep work and everyone shutting everything down for the blizzard that never hit NYC)

23 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

It's so much easier to up a forecast than to back pedal and lower it in terms of public opinion. Most of the time over forecasting costs much more economically than under forecasting (think of the blizzard prep work and everyone shutting everything down for the blizzard that never hit NYC)

Southern Texas is the big winner in terms of rarity. This is more a run of the mill event for us by 2010's mega-KU standards.

And this make it official! At high noon, December 8, we measured 0.25" of snow accumulation (depth) in Brownsville, the first time measurable snow happened here since Dec. 25, 2004, and only the third time since the late 19th century! #rgv #txwxpic.twitter.com/SQ5xotQ2Cj
View photo ·    

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Southern Texas is the big winner in terms of rarity. This is more a run of the mill event for us by 2010's mega-KU standards.

And this make it official! At high noon, December 8, we measured 0.25" of snow accumulation (depth) in Brownsville, the first time measurable snow happened here since Dec. 25, 2004, and only the third time since the late 19th century! #rgv #txwxpic.twitter.com/SQ5xotQ2Cj
View photo ·    

Corpus Christi apparently had multiple reports of thunder snow. 

When I was in Austin, the temp went down to around freezing a handful of times in the almost 2 years I was there. Must be crazy to see the snow pasted on all the palm trees down the Gulf coast. 

12 minutes ago, bluewave said:

View photo ·    

add in the date of 12/9 and it's even more amazing....one would think late Dec or Jan for this type of event there.

16 minutes ago, bluewave said:

View photo ·    

Them seeing snow before us or should I say at all is very impressive, Atlanta looks to get a good hit too.

Archived