joxey
December 9th 2017 Crusha or brusha?

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Orange County ftw on euro lol

imagine upton issues advisory for everyone BUT Orange County and Harriman gets like 6” lol

The majority of Orange County should stay below the threshold minimum for an advisory.

This could be the type of setup where Tuxedo, which is technically Orange County receives 5-6" and Port Jervis receives barely over an inch. They are right on the edge of the cutoff. 

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The majority of Orange County should stay below the threshold minimum for an advisory.

This could be the type of setup where Tuxedo, which is technically Orange County receives 5-6" and Port Jervis receives barely over an inch. They are right on the edge of the cutoff. 

Most models push 3-4” as far north as my house... can’t see leaving OC out of advisory 

14 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Most guidance gives all of O.C at least advisory level snows

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The 17z HRRR has over 5" in Cape May by 11z tomorrow morning.

I wouldn't expect much to be falling around here before 10-11AM and it should remain very light until afternoon.

Yea, probably very light until around 10 or so, it probably really gets going after that, winds down to snow showers tomorrow evening. I think Upton is going to have to adjust accumulations higher north and west of NYC this evening. Very unlikely that the Euro is wrong this close in. It looks like a general 3-6 inch plowable snow tomorrow, even up into Orange County

Just now, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Most models push 3-4” as far north as my house... can’t see leaving OC out of advisory 

FWIW Sussex and Warren Counties were left out of the advisory too.

You have to remember that it's not just about the nominal forecast but it's with regards to max potential and confidence that the NWS has with regards to reaching the max potential.

In the end, it's up to the discretion of that particular forecaster. 

In this case, it's clear that Upton collaborated with Mt. Holly with regards to the Western extend of the advisory and forecasters can still expand the extent of the advisory area later tonight if warranted. 

I don’t understand why they’re always so conservative. It’s a Saturday people shouldn’t be driving anyway just stay home and enjoy the snow. Especially in nyc I think a winter storm warning is warranted with up to 6 inches. I’d say a general 4-8 for nyc 

they have 2-4 no model shows that and this system is becoming dynamic

Just now, WeatherFeen2000 said:

I don’t understand why they’re always so conservative. It’s a Saturday people shouldn’t be driving anyway just stay home and enjoy the snow. Especially in nyc I think a winter storm warning is warranted with up to 6 inches. I’d say a general 4-8 for nyc 

I'll be driving-it's xmas sesaon and there's stuff to do and kids sports in the morning...most won't stay home for a a few inches of snow that falls over 12 hrs -would think most highways will be just wet with all the chemicals these days...

You can clearly see the game changer on the 12z Euro as the jet intensifies on Saturday afternoon thanks to the injection of energy from the Northern shortwave, as opposed to the solution from Wednesday which showed weakening dynamics aloft.

I know that this image is difficult to see, but watch how that 500mb jet just explodes, the heavy snow will develop right on the nose of those strong winds aloft.

After the nose of the strong jet passess overhead, snow should tapper quickly as the strongest dynamics move into New England and the dry air on the backside takes over.

The biggest thump should occur between 15 and 21z or between 10AM and 4PM from South to North.

sketched_5a2ae391d03fd.png

sketched_5a2ae39ebca41.png

sketched_5a2ae3adb00db.png

sketched_5a2ae3be70b2c.png

20 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

You can clearly see the game changer on the 12z Euro as the jet intensifies on Saturday afternoon thanks to the injection of energy from the Northern shortwave, as opposed to the solution from Wednesday which showed weakening dynamics aloft.

I know that this image is difficult to see, but watch how that 500mb jet just explodes, the heavy snow will develop right on the nose of those strong winds aloft.

After the nose of the strong jet passess overhead, snow should tapper quickly as the strongest dynamics move into New England and the dry air on the backside takes over.

The biggest thump should occur between 15 and 21z or between 10AM and 4PM from South to North.

sketched_5a2ae391d03fd.png

sketched_5a2ae39ebca41.png

sketched_5a2ae3adb00db.png

sketched_5a2ae3be70b2c.png

Perfect timing for maximum daytime impact :)  So heavy snow for about 6 hours?

12 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Perfect timing for maximum daytime impact :)  So heavy snow for about 6 hours?

It probably starts off very light around 7am or so. It looks like 10am to 4pm for the steady/heavier snow then it shuts down very quickly thereafter. Some left over snow showers and flurries tomorrow evening with clearing overnight

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

It probably starts off very light around 7am or so. It looks like 10am to 4pm for the steady/heavier snow then it shuts down very quickly thereafter. Some left over snow showers and flurries tomorrow evening with clearing overnight

There might be snow that hangs back due to the upper air low coming through. That would probably be showery snow. The heaviest would likely be in the afternoon. 

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

Sounds perfect, and hopefully some clearing overnight so moonlight can sparkle on the freshly fallen snow!

Archived