joxey
December 9th 2017 Crusha or brusha?

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Rjay said:

The Euro is .4-.5 (4-5" of snow)

It shows around 0.60" for EWR and NYC between 12z and 0z (Saturday morning to evening). POU is 0.51" for the same timeframe and around 0.60" for a storm total and BDR is 0.54" for the 12-hour period (near 0.60" total). The storm total for EWR and NYC is near 0.70". Overall, it would be a nice event.

This morning both the GFS and 12k NAM matched the UKMET by bring . 75 very close to NYC.

Look to see if the models can bump that N of you at 12z, you have a shot.

Here in CNJ the overall guidance is for .75 with the UKIE bringing the 1 inch line right onto the NJ coastline 

All in all this is a great 1st event even for the areas to our N and W where cloudy skies were expected by " some " just 2 days ago

Now in the medium range on day 5 another SW will dig around the base of the trough , the UKMET is the most aggressive with this feature and would bring another moderate snow event to the area on Tuesday.

The Euro exits the SW south of us and bombs this out at the BM , that would still be a decent event here but a major event in New England.

In the end there should be 2 accumulating snow events in a 4 day period before Dec 15 in NYC.

So much for those dry weekly maps that were being humped in here.

I will stop there.

2 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

This morning both the GFS and 12k NAM matched the UKMET by bring . 75 very close but just S to NYC.

Look to see if the models can bump that N of you at 12z, you have a shot.

Here in CNJ the overall guidance is for .75 with the UKIE bringing the 1 inch line right onto the NJ coastline 

All in all this is a great 1st event even for the areas to our N and W where cloudy skies were expected by " some " just 2 days ago

Now in the medium range on day 5 another SW will dig around the base of the trough , the UKMET is the most aggressive with this feature and would bring another moderate snow event to the area on Tuesday.

The Euro exits the SW south of us and bombs this out at the BM , that would still be a decent event here but a major event in New England.

In the end there should be 2 accumulating snow events in a 4 day period before Dec 15 in NYC.

So much for those dry weekly maps that were being humped in here.

I will stop there.

We just need to keep the mix line away now.

Another great thing is we will have an all daytime snow event in December!

On 12/6/2017 at 10:59 PM, redbanknjandbigbasslakepa said:

Has been for awhile if you are looking aloft and forecasting, not humping colors with a magnifying glass on the navgem or eps. Pattern recognition, knowing your locale, experience with similar setups. This one never argued nary a flake. 

Right now it’s a beach ball, rim looks like a manhole. Ride it. Watch the 17-18th, 13th always been a late bloomer. 

Some statistics for reference:

AO-/PNA+ during 12/8-18/1981-2010 (127 days) vs. 12/8-18/1981-2010 Base Period (330 days):
● Accounted for 57% of all days with measurable snowfall
● Accounted for 67% of all days on which 1” or more snow fell
● Accounted for 75% of all days on which 2” or more snow fell

AO-/PNA+ during 12/8-18/1981-2010 (127 days) vs. 12/8-18/1981-2010 Base Period (330 days):
● Days with measurable snowfall were 48% more likely than for the base period as a whole
● Days with 1” or more snowfall were 73% more likely than for the base period as a whole
● Days with 2” or more snowfall were 95% more likely than for the base period as a whole

AO-/PNA+ during 12/8-18/1981-2010 (127 days) vs. All days without AO-/PNA+ 12/8-18/1981-2010 (203 days):
● Days with measurable snowfall were 113% more likely than for days without an AO-/PNA+
● Days with 1” or more snowfall were 220% more likely than for days without an AO-/PNA+
● Days with 2” or more snowfall were 380% more likely than for days without an AO-/PNA+

6 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

It shows around 0.60" for EWR and NYC between 12z and 0z (Saturday morning to evening). POU is 0.51" for the same timeframe and around 0.60" for a storm total and BDR is 0.54" for the 12-hour period (near 0.60" total). The storm total for EWR and NYC is near 0.70". Overall, it would be a nice event.

Hmm 

ecmwf_tprecip_nyc_10.png

2 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Depending on how things play out on the 12z model runs it would not surprise me at all if this winds up being a widespread 6-10" snowfall for the metro area. Right now I am liking the 3-6" range.

Mt. Holly has taken into account that ratios could be 8:1 or lower versus the standard.

I think 3-6" is most likely especially if models bump up precip a bit more.

1 minute ago, donsutherland1 said:

This is interesting. I wonder if the maps take 0.5X" and only show 0.5" even if the figure is closer to 0.6" e.g., 0.57"? In any case, the general idea of a 3"-6" snowfall across the region on the ECMWF doesn't change.

I've never seen such a disconnect between products for the same model output.   Anyway, like you said, it's all the same in the end. 

2 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I've never seen such a disconnect between products for the same model output.   Anyway, like you said, it's all the same in the end. 

The difference is interesting. Hopefully, it's not a recurrent theme. After all, if one were dealing with a high ratio snowfall, even small differences could have a large impact on the final forecast amounts. 

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's snowfall (5-year old is, too, and is already talking about building a snowman).

Over here (LI) from the U.K. found this site after wanting to check the weather for the weekend. What an excellent forum, some very knowledgeable people on it. I don’t understand the charts, but just love weather (snow junky as well). Keep up the good informative postings, helping people like me understand the weather.  Thanks

Archived