• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 9, 2017 - Storm Discussion (Breaking the seal on the season for many)

Baroclinic Zone

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

When I was checking my phone at work today and saw you bumped I was freaking out :lol: 

BTW, my roommate and I were watching your 11:00 forecast last night and it was tremendous. It sucks I don't get to really watch the news much but the way you break things down and explain them is quite inspiring. 

Thank you! That means a lot. 

Check out my blog from tonight... sort of went through how I arrived at my forecast. https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/weather/stories/First-Snow-Storm-of-the-Season-462916803.html

Also... this was from yesterday afternoon. I can't believe they let me do this stuff on TV lol  https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/How-Saturdays-Storms-Form/462667493.html

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

No... Reggie cut back from 18z about 10 or 20% in terms of QPF. 

It’s really down to radar and short range model watching IMO. The overall trend in the 0z suite can’t be denied, but we really have to see how the next piece of energy starts things up south of us I guess. Hopefully it surprises well. 

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I just meant the board is neueotic...I wasn't calling anyone out. We all are obsessed. 

Oh, don't worry, I agree fully.  It's the first snow of the season. We all are little snow freaks when you think about. Good luck with your forecast.:)

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

It’s really down to radar and short range model watching IMO. The overall trend in the 0z suite can’t be denied, but we really have to see how the next piece of energy starts things up south of us I guess. Hopefully it surprises well. 

Yeah... short term models... like the RGEM, NAM, WRFs etc

Just now, jm1220 said:

Or the HRRR, RAP which still look good? 

"look good" not sure what that means. 

Through 18 hours I see 1/3" of QPF for Hartford. That's lovely. What happens after that? We're sort of at the end of the useful range for the HRRR. 

Every model backed off QPF at 00z by 10 or 20%. It's a fact. If I saw that earlier I would have stuck with my 3-6 instead of bumping I-91 and points east up to 4-8. It is what it is. 

Just now, CT Rain said:

More of just being a perfectionist and wanting to beat the other stations lol

Plus the personal weenieism of waning 7" IMBY (which was always a stretch) but maybe having to settle for 3 or 4". 

Yea, I don't mean you'd lose your job...but obviously you are driven or you wouldn't be chief weenie.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I don't mean you'd lose your job...but obviously you are driven or you wouldn't be chief weenie.

Oh no I understood what you were saying. 

It's obviously not a huge fail with this storm... still solid advisory. But I think the thought of some of the higher end solutions panning out is unlikely given the QPF trimming. 

4 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Through 18 hours I see 1/3" of QPF for Hartford. That's lovely. What happens after that? We're sort of at the end of the useful range for the HRRR. 

Every model backed off QPF at 00z by 10 or 20%. It's a fact. If I saw that earlier I would have stuck with my 3-6 instead of bumping I-91 and points east up to 4-8. It is what it is. 

Well there is your 4 in HFD and your 8 in ne ct

Just now, CT Rain said:

Oh no I understood what you were saying. 

It's obviously not a huge fail with this storm... still solid advisory. But I think the thought of some of the higher end solutions panning out is unlikely given the QPF trimming. 

You will do fine, Kev will slant stick so you verify lol

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

More of just being a perfectionist and wanting to beat the other stations lol

Plus the personal weenieism of waning 7" IMBY (which was always a stretch) but maybe having to settle for 3 or 4". 

Absolutely. The ground will be covered by the time it’s done, making it to 6” would be better than having a couple inch event where grass blades still stick through. I’m still cautiously optimistic down here for a high end/borderline warning event, but let’s see what happens. It’ll be nice to see accumulating snow regardless. At least around NYC, this always looked like a 3-6” type event. 

6 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Not so.  Canadian was more robust, especially in western sections than 12z.

7 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Thank you! That means a lot. 

Check out my blog from tonight... sort of went through how I arrived at my forecast. https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/weather/stories/First-Snow-Storm-of-the-Season-462916803.html

Also... this was from yesterday afternoon. I can't believe they let me do this stuff on TV lol  https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/How-Saturdays-Storms-Form/462667493.html

You explain yourself so well and break it down so easily that you can certainly get away with being more technical than most can on TV. 

I also really love with how every storm you always take the time to explain snowfall ratios, liquid equivalent, and discuss the process behind the generation of ice crystals and dendrites. This aspect of snowfall forecasting is vastly overlooked by many but its an extremely critical aspect of forecasting. I think I was lower (2-4'') but I was thinking less than 10:1 ratios. I was hedging more like 7:1 or 8:1. But when you explain snowfall rations you mention how these vary so from within the storm and I think many don't realize or understand this. You only get the maximized snowfall rations when you have strong enough lift into the snowgrowth zone (and of course you have the other parameters needed too) but I think so many just assume 10:1 or 15:1 from start to finish and that's just not the case.

For tomorrow I think they'll range from 7:1 to 10:1 but those higher rations will only occur in brief stints and I can't see snowfall rates eclipsing 1/2'' per hour or more for long duration's and I think that hurts when it comes to widespread higher totals.

Archived