• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 9, 2017 - Storm Discussion (Breaking the seal on the season for many)

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Big hit on GGEM...prob pretty widespread low end warning criteria storm for most east of VT...and outside far SE MA/Cape where BL issues are present. Looks almost like a paste bomb for BOS area verbatim.

Yep. I'm going to sound like a weenie, but still not game over for this weekend's threat even if hard-to-beat GFS/Euro combination isn't looking pretty for us snow lovers. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m still digging out from the CMC’s 32” spot over my fanny from March.

Just can’t seem to believe any of these canadian, german, and french models until the american and euro union’s come on board. 

What did you get in that March storm?

57 minutes ago, WintersComing said:

Was there a change in the Kuchera output recently?  Seems by looking at the last few :weenie: maps it's more conservative with amounts than 10:1.  Just wondering if they changed something with it.

55 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Probably not factoring in uber cold temps yet. Wait until next month.

Kuchera doesn't change. It's based on the max temp below 500 mb.

If the max temp is below -2 C it uses a ratio = 12 + (-2 - MaxT).

If the max temp is above -2 C it uses a ratio = 12 + 2* (-2 - MaxT).

So say we kiss 0C in the column, your ratio is 12 + (-2 - 0) or 10. You can see how for increasing max temps the ratio will go down. It's not fool proof though, because we all know +1C could ruin an event, but Kuchera would say a 9:1 ratio. 

On the opposite end of the spectrum, a real cold air mass (say -10C) would produce a 12 + 2 (-2 -(-10)) = 28:1. Possible, but a lot more than temps play into ratios.

So Kuchera attempts to bring some science in, it's a little better than a blanket ratio like 10:1. But still :weenie:.

I prefer to use the Cobb method which brings in temps, RH, and lift. http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=nam&site=korh

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

No kidding. We now have the Canadian with a paste job, and the GFS with flurries. Might as well role with the SREFs.

I mean just the GEFS alone tosses those three outcomes out there. 

And I'm short term, I shouldn't even be looking at this one. I have TAFs to write.

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The fact that the GGEM gives ATL snow makes me question its validity 

a6qqdCQ.jpg

lol that's quite the streak of snow it's got there.  From Gulf Coast to Maine.  That's a big time deal in the mid-Atlantic too.

Like everyone has said in past winters, the GGEM is my go-to model for hope on the far western side.  

Archived