• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 9, 2017 - Storm Discussion (Breaking the seal on the season for many)

Baroclinic Zone

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Never fails. Never wet man snow. But not overly powdery. It’s generally good substance snow with density . But it’s fairly cold aloft , so prob a bit dryer 

We will probably have the best lift above the max dendritic zone up here. That would make the ratios lower, but still a "dry" snow...just smaller, more compact crystals versus the feathery dendrites. I haven't looked at bufkit stuff down there though. You may have better lift down around H7.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dendrite said:

We will probably have the best lift above the max dendritic zone up here. That would make the ratios lower, but still a "dry" snow...just smaller, more compact crystals versus the feathery dendrites. I haven't looked at bufkit stuff down there though. You may have better lift down around H7.

It did look better farther south, mainly because temps aloft are slightly warmer.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Sugar.

Just now, dendrite said:

BOS actually has decent lift near the DGZ. CON has a good burst too, in the aftn and then again after 3z. 

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Not my favorite, But could make a good start to a base rather then sublimate into space at 15:1

Yeah, a bit of a man pack for the first event isn't so bad.

It's still about QPF in the end...hopefully can get 3 quarters of an inch of water into it.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I enjoy a ‘calm’ snow, winds look light with this...a solid 2-4” expected here. Just enough to enjoy the new house with the wife and kid, to kick off winter. 

Sounds fabulous to me...I'll take 2-4" and be very happy.    Happening on the same day as last years first one...remember that one on the early morning of the 8th...ended up with close to 7" with that one.  

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah, a bit of a man pack for the first event isn't so bad.

It's still about QPF in the end...hopefully can get 3 quarters of an inch of water into it.

Definitely, Even if we can bump the qpf up some, I would not be opposed to taking the mash potatoes on this first one, Lay it down then let the next ones cover it up, I'm all about the pack for me anyways.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Definitely, Even if we can bump the qpf up some, I would not be opposed to taking the mash potatoes on this first one, Lay it down then let the next ones cover it up, I'm all about the pack for me anyways.

Wet mashed is great to start.  Fine sugar or needles suck.  I've gotten a lot of that lately it seems

Archived