• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 9, 2017 - Storm Discussion (Breaking the seal on the season for many)

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

ma - han ... holy crap is this thing narrow..

i mean i knew and even mentioned at one time or the other, just how needle-threading this thing was in this high velocity/compressed field but that's 45 miles wide all the way up.

we are getting excruciatingly lucky here -

Its the coastal plain...they get "lucky" a lot with these storms ;).

In all honesty, this isn't luck.  It's geography.  I know Will has mentioned it a lot in the past that the geography of SNE lends itself to these types of systems.  SNE sticks out into the Atlantic relative to the trajectory of the coastline from say the Delmarva to Maine. 

Just think if you drew a line from NYC to PWM, how much real estate is "sticking out" into the Atlantic there.

18z NAM to illustrate.

cV7VJef.png

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Its the coastal plain...they get "lucky" a lot with these storms ;).

In all honesty, this isn't luck.  It's geography.  I know Will has mentioned it a lot in the past that the geography of SNE lends itself to these types of systems.  SNE sticks out into the Atlantic relative to the trajectory of the coastline from say the Delmarva to Maine. 

Just think if you drew a line from NYC to PWM, how much real estate is "sticking out" into the Atlantic there.

18z NAM to illustrate.

cV7VJef.png

Combo of both.

noo...

it's luck - period.

we've been missed by enough narrow events to know that sometimes you get the bullet, sometimes you don't... The point is, it's 50 mile wide bullet and it could streak anywhere.  weather SNE sticks out or not means nothing.  it happened to be in unlikely path and that is all chance.

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I like it, always have. 

I used to do it a while ago and to tell you the truth Ryan is part of the reason i switch to incremental (non-overlapping) totals. It just made more sense to me. Especially after making so many snowfall total graphics (measurements after the storm) almost always lined up with the non-overlapping forecast graphics.

Rarely (if ever) would you see half the state with say 5-10" and the other half with 6-12". Growing up i remember for on-air TV anyways, that over-lapping totals were the status-quo, you would usually see 3-6, 4-8, 5-10, 6-12 type shades. Now it seems it's not really the case anymore.

this whole ordeal has some ANA characteristics to it's complexion...

I realize it has the n-stream thing diving in...but ...that really isn't involved/hooking up with this thing and you have a wind acceleration at mid levels riding up just west of the lvl baroclinic zone...causing some upglide whether the n-stream is there or not. 

Archived