• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The December to Remember 7th-8th blue turd winter threat thread.

lilj4425

5 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I would be shocked if ATL got anything big from this.  It’s possible but making a forecast here you really have to go just up to 2 inches on cold surfaces.  This isn’t a closed low or dynamic system where intense rates are likely and it’s occurring at a bad time of day for accumulation.  One factor I think that is killing this for ATL is what I call “early wet bulbing” where you get precip too early before dry air really works in and when you finally do start going to all snow you don’t have the potential you would have had if you stayed dry.  If for whatever reason the precip from 23-07Z stays south of ATL and they can get to 23-24-25 on dewpointa this even becomes much more dangerous for them  

thanks for the input goose, much appreciated.  i agree if we can get dewpoints in low to mid 20's then we may be in for a surprise.  with you as well, i don't think anything major on the roadways at this point but 2 inches on grass, roofs, car tops is def possible, imo.  

2 minutes ago, LovingGulfLows said:

Surprised you're still so hung up on the GEFS...it was a huge failure last winter. Every member had me getting at least 2 inches of snow in the January storm. Nada.

The GFS didn’t see the warm nose in that storm.  Unfortunately the nws and many forecasters bought into it partially and kept snow totals too high when it was evident the event was likely going to be mostly FZRA 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mackerel_sky said:

We toss the RAP! It slides the Mack snow hole into GA , over towards Lookouts area, and gives me 4"! I'll take 1" accounting for warm ground , sun angle, and mixing issues! The Euro and EPS, kind of did the same thing! 

Be real careful with the warm ground deal.  I find that doesn’t work often.  If you’ve got a December sun angle and you snow even one half inch per hour the warm ground deal doesn’t often hold up.  Many places jn GA have been in the 40s now for 36 hours plus.  I always bring up Albany NY being 85 degrees and then seeing 15 inches of snow the next day 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Be real careful with the warm ground deal.  I find that doesn’t work often.  If you’ve got a December sun angle and you snow even one half inch per hour the warm ground deal doesn’t often hold up.  Many places jn GA have been in the 40s now for 36 hours plus.  I always bring up Albany NY being 85 degrees and then seeing 15 inches of snow the next day 

I'm really concerned about 850 temps! Almost all the models yesterday and this morning showed 0 snow in the Upstate! Now The Euro and most of the short range models give a slight bullseye over my area!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LovingGulfLows said:

Surprised you're still so hung up on the GEFS...it was a huge failure last winter. Every member had me getting at least 2 inches of snow in the January storm. Nada.

Yeah. We're close enough to the storm that it's time to start looking closer at the higher resolution models.

1 minute ago, Wow said:

NAM slower but juiced up!

Looking at the setup at 5H, I always look for the trough to be over north central Arkansas for the big dogs for the foothills and southern VA and that is exactly what it is showing right now. I really expect a good presentation on the 850 maps upcoming.

13 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I'm really concerned about 850 temps! Almost all the models yesterday and this morning showed 0 snow in the Upstate! Now The Euro and most of the short range models give a slight bullseye over my area!

Hug the bullseye models. They can't always be wrong can they?

i haven't had a chance to look at models but from what I'm hearing I'm liking the colder trends. Maybe the cold air is more robust than the January storm and we don't have to fight 33 degree rain for the entirety of the event

1 minute ago, shahroz98 said:

Warm nose over me causing the models to lessen the totals. If it ends up verifying, its going to be the 3rd storm in a row where i got warm nosed and the next county over has atleast 2 inches on the ground ):

It's called climatology. Now large parts of the Atlanta metro is even struggling with 850 mb temps. Not surprised. It looks really similar to January's storm.

One of the well respected Mets in the mid atlantic forum, MillvilleWX: "The better jet alignment over the NE will probably lead to another 40-50 mile shift in the overall QPF shield. I’ll let it play out, but if you want a better expansion of precip on the NW side, this is exactly what you want to see. Atmosphere is slowed a touch with the more amplified look East of the Rockies."

• Like 2