• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The December to Remember 7th-8th blue turd winter threat thread.

lilj4425

1 minute ago, LithiaWx said:

Very little IP or ZR all hi Rez modles really are suggesting snow or rain and that’s it. 

And that's true.  The only trouble area with temps will be at the surface mainly.  The LP is weak and little WAA to worry about.  It's either rain or a heavy, wet snow.

• Like 1

Just now, SN_Lover said:

Let me tell you the tale of a snowstorm with no parent high. It was the eve of a storm system, all the weenies gleaming at the models sudden "trend". Weenies wake up and all is cold, then when rain arrives all is toasty. Weenies disappoint and vent on Americanwx. 

Should jburns go ahead and start the vent thread?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

Let me tell you the tale of a snowstorm with no parent high. It was the eve of a storm system, all the weenies gleaming at the models sudden "trend". Weenies wake up and all is cold, then when rain arrives all is toasty. Weenies disappoint and vent on Americanwx. 

I know last year that ATL got their first ever severe freezing rain event without a wedge so anything can happen

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

And yet they still knew how to use the banter thread

• Like 2

I've been burned many times by surface layer warm air that doesn't evaporate as fast as I had hoped, but.... those other times often involved a thicker warm layer, and daytime snow in late february or march where solar insolation would eat in to accumulating snow even at 30 degree's.  We are just a a couple weeks away from the solstice right now.

I honestly would be ready to push my chips all in for a hammer job if all of the models weren't stuck on bottoming out the upstate at around 35/36. I just don't see how that will be the case if it's ripping it outside at 8am tomorrow morning like most models are showing. But if it is... we won't have any chance for accumulations. 

40 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Here in Douglas just west of Atlanta it’s going to be feast or famine.  We’ve been safely in the snow on all models but a last minute jump of 20-40 miles will screw us over.  I expect to see snow falling most of the day tomorrow but little accumulation.  Possibly the Xmas day storm redux here in Atlanta. 

I was thinking the same thing earlier that the Christmas storm would be a good analog.  It snowed all day but didn't stick until sundown.  We did get 3" or so then so I ended up happy.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

I've been burned many times by surface layer warm air that doesn't evaporate as fast as I had hoped, but.... those other times often involved a thicker warm layer, and daytime snow in late february or march where solar insolation would eat in to accumulating snow even at 30 degree's.  We are just a a couple weeks away from the solstice right now.

I honestly would be ready to push my chips all in for a hammer job if all of the models weren't stuck on bottoming out the upstate at around 35/36. I just don't see how that will be the case if it's ripping it outside at 8am tomorrow morning like most models are showing. But if it is... we won't have any chance for accumulations. 

This is my main concern as well. This scenario seems like our version of Groundhog Day. We start tracking, guidance shows cold is there, looks like we're on the northern fringe with no QPF, NW track commences, enter WWA, plenty of QPF, temps are a problem. Boundary level problems almost never resolve unless we have crazy low wetbulbs. This time we're already moist and cloudy with temps in mid 40s. I would almost bet 85 through the upstate doesn't get below about 37 or 36. And I've seen many times where rates don't overcome BL and ground temps.