• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The December to Remember 7th-8th blue turd winter threat thread.

lilj4425

Just now, SimeonNC said:

Sorry if this is too banterish but for some reason even though every model has CLT getting at least some mixing tomorrow, TWC is still forecasting all rain.

Your problem is looking at TWC! You'll get better, more reliable forecasts, right here! There you get GFS only forecast 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, No snow for you said:

I will say the guys and gals at GSP do a great job and know the area very well. No matter what the models are showing, I would lean on them, especially as difficult as this area is to forecast. 

Yep!  They have a difficult job covering three different geographical areas and they are the best IMO.  Just look at the complexity of this one event....

1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

How much for GFS , in your opinion, with these new runs of RAP, HRR and such!? Still mainly CAESARS HEAD and areas mainly!?

We say "it's a tough call" a lot, but the HRRR and latest NAMs suggest that this is a tough call for the GSP to CLT corridor.  Conservative forecast would be to go with rain, with a chance for snow to mix in.  The soundings suggest that when the precip is heavy, it could very well flip to snow (I looked at Simpsonville).

There is a lot of discussion about the warm nose...but I wanted to point out that the warm bubble east of Atlanta over into the upstate is where there is a pocket of above freezing air in the lower levels of the atmosphere (cold air having a tough time moving in over the mtns).  As precip falls and we go toward morning, the sounding shows cooling of this lower level warmth, down to where it could be cold enough for snow.

This is different from what is traditionally referred to as a warm nose where warm air is pouring in aloft from the southeast at the 850-750mb levels.  In that case, the sounding shows the warmth aloft 'nosing' above freezing as opposed to lower level warmth above freezing.

Bottom line: having the above freezing warm layer closer to the ground is easier to overcome than warm air pouring in aloft from the southeast.

The text below is the scenario we are looking for here.  That is, the 850mb low isn't closed and strong with our storm tomorrow and the warm advection aloft is staying closer to the SE coast than it is pouring inland (source - http://www.wxonline.info/topics/preciptype.html )

"Melting of Snow to Rain"

"Melting snow to rain requires latent heat. This heat is taken from the surrounding air. In order to obtain substantial temperature change due to melting, it is necessary to have rather heavy amounts of precipitation falling with little or no warm advection. If this occurs, you can have heavy rain turn to heavy snow as the freezing level sinks downward due to cooling by latent heat absorption.

Although this situation can occur, cases of substantial lowering of the freezing level due to melting are relatively rare because the combination of heavy precicpitation without warm air advection is rare."

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

Here's the HRRR sounding for Friday AM at RDU along with the corresponding reflectivity map. That's a heavy, wet snow verbatim.

Sounding.JPG

Interesting there how it shows the strong omega (red bars on left) higher up in the 300-500mb range....indicative of the strong divergence from a very strong jet streak aloft over the northeast

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, griteater said:

We say "it's a tough call" a lot, but the HRRR and latest NAMs suggest that this is a tough call for the GSP to CLT corridor.  Conservative forecast would be to go with rain, with a chance for snow to mix in.  The soundings suggest that when the precip is heavy, it could very well flip to snow (I looked at Simpsonville).

There is a lot of discussion about the warm nose...but I wanted to point out that the warm bubble east of Atlanta over into the upstate is where there is a pocket of above freezing air in the lower levels of the atmosphere (cold air having a tough time moving in over the mtns).  As precip falls and we go toward morning, the sounding shows cooling of this lower level warmth, down to where it could be cold enough for snow.

This is different from what is traditionally referred to as a warm nose where warm air is pouring in aloft from the southeast at the 850-750mb levels.  In that case, the sounding shows the warmth aloft 'nosing' above freezing as opposed to lower level warmth above freezing.

Bottom line: having the above freezing warm layer closer to the ground is easier to overcome than warm air pouring in aloft from the southeast.

The text below is the scenario we are looking for here.  That is, the 850mb low isn't closed and strong with our storm tomorrow and the warm advection aloft is staying closer to the SE coast than it is pouring inland (source - http://www.wxonline.info/topics/preciptype.html )

"Melting of Snow to Rain"

"Melting snow to rain requires latent heat. This heat is taken from the surrounding air. In order to obtain substantial temperature change due to melting, it is necessary to have rather heavy amounts of precipitation falling with little or no warm advection. If this occurs, you can have heavy rain turn to heavy snow as the freezing level sinks downward due to cooling by latent heat absorption.

Although this situation can occur, cases of substantial lowering of the freezing level due to melting are relatively rare because the combination of heavy precicpitation without warm air advection is rare."

Thank you Grit for your analysis and play by play for this event, and others.  It's been educational.  Same goes out to Buddy, Wow, and all the others who have a nice knowledge and interpretation ability of the models.  

I too have been looking at the soundings of the RAP, HRRR, and NAM3 and even though it shows CLT in the green, the soundings show that pretty much the whole column is below freezing other than right near the surface.  Although I know we're not going to accumulate I'm still rooting to see some snow falling from the sky tomorrow evening and night.  But again, it's absolutely amazing the difference between Charlotte, and anywhere north and west of here.  Charlotte/85 is ALWAYS the battleground.  Excited to get into Iredell county next year.  Hopefully the battleground doesn't move north with me.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SnowDeac said:

Always funny watching the S VA folks root for the NW trend that crushes the dreams of 97% of this board. Posts like "epic run of the GFS", just twist the knife.

10 minutes ago, griteater said:

I mean, it basically always ends up this way right?  Frosty, Jonathon, and Big Frosty sad and moping, saying they can't buy QPF, and they end up with the good stuff.....ha, all in fun Buddy - good luck your way!

I’m sorry guys I don’t mean to be an a-hole. Just very passionate about winter time storms. Huge snow guy. I always root for you guys but if it happens for us I definitely take it. ;)

• Like 3