• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The December to Remember 7th-8th blue turd winter threat thread.

lilj4425

Just now, Jonathan said:

Agreed, but question. Does the kuchera ratio not take those variables into its output? 

I believe the kuchera ratio factors several of those things in, but the output maps on the Euro are just the standard 10:1 so they are pretty misleading in events like this. For GFS/NAM the kuchera snow maps from pivotal are the way to go, they'll give a better indication of where those models see snow falling and sticking.

1 minute ago, snowlover91 said:

I believe the kuchera ratio factors several of those things in, but the output maps on the Euro are just the standard 10:1 so they are pretty misleading in events like this. For GFS/NAM the kuchera snow maps from pivotal are the way to go, they'll give a better indication of where those models see snow falling and sticking.

Wxbell has kuchera maps for the euro, are they not the real deal?

I'm all in on the Euro. Several hours of mood flakes with possible heavy bursts. Euro still has "accumulating " snow well to my south and east. I can still afford a small tick NW and get in on the wet flake action(per Euro). I'm hopeful rates will overcome to kick this winter off right.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Wxbell has kuchera maps for the euro, are they not the real deal?

I'm not sure, I don't have access to them as I use the free wx.graphics and weather.us ones, but if they're using the kuchera method then they should give a better idea of amounts.

7 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Hard not to get a little excited for areas N and W of 85 with todays trends, the EURO was especially encouraging this close to start time of the event

Unless the GFS and NAM verify. I’m North and west of I-85 and those two models have me getting zero accumulation. The Euro has me getting four inches.

My own analysis of where the Euro is supportive of snow (without regard for the snow map or precip type algorithm on the model):

1AM Fri: Snow in GA and NC Mtns, and northern NC foothills

7 AM Fri: Snow just N and NW of ATL into SE TN, GA and NC Mtns, northern NC foothills

1PM Fri: Snow NW side of ATL metro into NW and N Central GA into SE TN, GA and NC Mtns, northern NC foothills

7PM Fri: Snow NW side of ATL metro, GA and NC Mtns, northern foothills, NW Triad

1AM Sat: Snow NW side of ATL metro, GA and NC Mtns, northern foothills, Hickory to NW Triad

7AM Sat: Snow N side of CLT to Hickory to Triad

Just S and E of these areas, there could be some snow where precip bursts and cools the column...or rain/snow mix

Having said all of that, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Euro a little warmer than this on the 00z run

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

My own analysis of where the Euro is supportive of snow (without regard for the snow map or precip type algorithm on the model):

7 AM Fri: Snow just N and NW of ATL into SE TN, GA and NC Mtns, northern NC foothills

1PM Fri: Snow NW side of ATL metro into NW and N Central GA into SE TN, GA and NC Mtns, northern NC foothills

7PM Fri: Snow NW side of ATL metro, GA and NC Mtns, northern foothills, NW Triad

1AM Sat: Snow NW side of ATL metro, GA and NC Mtns, northern foothills, Hickory to NW Triad

Just S and E of these areas, there could be some snow where precip bursts and cools the column...or rain/snow mix

Having said all of that, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Euro a little warmer than this on the 00z run

No Upstate SC? Bummer. :(

• Like 2

The RAP always seems colder than actuality with these winter storms. Wouldn't put much hope into it. I'd go with the NAM 3km and the HRRR for my goto hi-res models when it comes to warm noses and thermal profiles. The RGEM also tends to do fairly well. The RGEM/NAM 3km combo nailed the big bust in January.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LovingGulfLows said:

The RAP always seems colder than actuality with these winter storms. Wouldn't put much hope into it. I'd go with the NAM 3k and the HRRR for my goto hi-res models when it comes to warm noses and thermal profiles. The RGEM also tends to do fairly well. The RGEM/NAM 3k combo nailed the big bust in January.

When does ATL decide on WINTER STORM WATCH or WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY?  Figured it would be out by now.   I think criteria for ATL to be in a watch is the expectation for 2 inches of snow.   Saving grace tomorrow for ATL roads will be 34-35 degree temps versus upper 20's we had during SNOWJAM.  

Jeez u mentioned SC 0 times in your forecast lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, neatlburbwthrguy said:

When does ATL decide on WINTER STORM WATCH or WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY?  Figured it would be out by now.   I think criteria for ATL to be in a watch is the expectation for 2 inches of snow.   Saving grace tomorrow for ATL roads will be 34-35 degree temps versus upper 20's we had during SNOWJAM.  

They said to expect a thorough update between 3-4pm today. 

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Peachtree City GA
116 PM EST Thu Dec 7 2017

.UPDATE...
Updated for the 18Z Aviation Discussion.

In the near term, forecast is on track with the next wave of
moisture moving into the region later this afternoon/evening. We
are working now to fine-tune the wintry precipitation timing and
location. Expect the next update to come out between 3pm-4pm.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=FFC&issuedby=FFC&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

Just now, mackerel_sky said:

Dynamic, it's making its own cold air!

Seriously, the RAP did the same thing in January. Showed my area getting heavy snowfall through dynamic cooling; In the end, nothing but rain with some sleet mixed in all day and snow showers and flurries the last hour or two. It puts too much emphasis on cooling the colomn along with overestimating the rates of precipitation. There's not going to be a wide area where rates overcome 35-37 degree temperatures.

1 minute ago, LovingGulfLows said:

Seriously, the RAP did the same thing in January. Showed my area getting heavy snowfall through dynamic cooling; In the end, nothing but rain with some sleet mixed in all day and snow showers and flurries the last hour or two. It puts too much emphasis on cooling the colomn along with overestimating the rates of precipitation. There's not going to be a wide area where rates overcome 35-37 degree temperatures.

That event had a lousier cold air supply and was more dynamic forcing mild air into the 750-900 layer

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, neatlburbwthrguy said:

I would be shocked if ATL got anything big from this.  It’s possible but making a forecast here you really have to go just up to 2 inches on cold surfaces.  This isn’t a closed low or dynamic system where intense rates are likely and it’s occurring at a bad time of day for accumulation.  One factor I think that is killing this for ATL is what I call “early wet bulbing” where you get precip too early before dry air really works in and when you finally do start going to all snow you don’t have the potential you would have had if you stayed dry.  If for whatever reason the precip from 23-07Z stays south of ATL and they can get to 23-24-25 on dewpointa this even becomes much more dangerous for them  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, burrel2 said:

Hrrr is usually torching us 18h ours out, and it has the northen upstate flipping to snow by 7am Friday.. which is way ahead of schedule with most other modeling. Maybe the Hrrr and Rap are on to something.

hrrr_ref_frzn_seus_18.png

You are probably fine. I could see you getting 1-3", easily! If I got car-topped overnight Friday, I would be ecstatic! I've watched simulated radar and even real radar, with deep blue 5-10 miles to my area, and still just rain! The fact that grit says the temps lock at 35-37 and don't flinch, is scary!