• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The December to Remember 7th-8th blue turd winter threat thread.

lilj4425

I’m just a watcher here but it seems that if we are depending on one of these secondary models to pan out we are hoping for a pipe dream, am I right or off based....some of the maps used here I have never heard a local tv met use......they seem to always go gfs/euro

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, msuwx said:

Several ensemble members now have a stronger system, similar to what a few of the others models have.

What is your gut call on this system? Nam/GFS are a weaker version. Euro is in the middle and then you have the camps of NAVGEM/GGEM/CMC/JMA and to an extent the UKIE. Tough forecast for the mets. Major implications if one camp sways to the other.

Just now, Buddy1987 said:

What is your gut call on this system? Nam/GFS are a weaker version. Euro is in the middle and then you have the camps of NAVGEM/GGEM/CMC/JMA and to an extent the UKIE. Tough forecast for the mets. Major implications if one camp sways to the other.

I think conservative is the way to go for the time being, and that's the way I continue to go in my public forecast. Way too many variables and too much uncertainty to be too whipped up into a frenzy at this juncture. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

The EURO took a step back from yesterdays run, showing snow in areas that will be borderline or rain and not much precip to the west...

Looking at the Euro, GFS, and CMC ensemble means, each one is taking baby steps toward more precip back inland.  Of the 3, the Euro Ens is making the smallest moves (part of that may be the large # of ensemble members).  The CMC Ens Mean is the most amplified with the southern portion of the trough.  GFS and Euro Ens are similar at the base of the trough.  I think we'll continue to see slight sharpening of the wave and some increases to the precip back to the west.

The majority of the models are more amped than the EURO, carving out the upper low more distinctly than the euro over the MISS Valley. If last year was any indicator towards this year, we'll probably see the euro cave at some point. Just taking a look purely at the 500mb chart, it's a pretty classic setup, the only issue is it's so early in the season for a snowstorm. My gut tells me most of the area see's snow falling, but boundary layer conditions limit the ratios to something like 6:1, which would lower totals to a general 1-3 across the area, except in areas who get lucky with dynamic cooling. EURO has been keying in on an area from SE Wake county NE towards the coastline for days. So it will be interesting to see how that pans out. The SLP track is pretty ideal being decently offshore, so I don't see a ton of mid or upper level mixing being an issue. This will likely be a rain or snow scenario.

• Like 4

For those of us in Georgia the EURO, NAM, CMC and members of the GEFS have given us some eye poppers.  I for one am happy to see some areas of GA that don't normally get snow, being shown to cash in on many of these runs.  

Our media outlets down here are super conservative right now.  James Spann has sounded the lookout for the Atlanta area and the Atlanta Mets will not jump on that train.  I get being conservative but if models continue down the path they've been on, they will have no choice but to start to get serious about talking about it publicly.

Personally, I want it to come a little more North but I will be happy just to see flakes fly and folks that usually miss out get some snow.

• Like 2