Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 8-16 Clipper Regime

Hoosier

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

A little concerned about potential low-level dry air that may hinder amounts. Moisture is abundant, however, the dry air may keep us closer to 2-3" IMO. Lets see! The colder temperatures may allow for better snow ratios and potential lake enhancement as you mentioned. 

Not really worried about moisture as light flakes (at least here) have been in the air since I woke up this morning. So saturation shouldn't be much of an issue. 

1 hour ago, harrisale said:

Not really worried about moisture as light flakes (at least here) have been in the air since I woke up this morning. So saturation shouldn't be much of an issue. 

Snow just started in downtown Toronto. Looks like some lake enhancement from Lake Ontario on radar.

On a side note, there will be no longer manned snowfall measurements at the downtown Toronto station, according to a senior manager at Environment Canada. This may be also true for other volunteer observing stations, such as London Airport, Thunder Bay and Kitchener-Waterloo Airport. I have to get further clarification on this. They are going to measure snow at these stations via automated snow sensors. 

The only EC stations with manned snowfall measurements in the Greater Toronto Area are Pearson Airport/YYZ, Buttonville Airport in Markham and the EC headquarters in North York at Dufferin and Steeles.

5 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

3.2" report 7 miles north-northwest of Mt. Carroll.  Pretty impressive.

I noticed the bright-banding in that spot and wondered what they were seeing at the surface.  That must've been pretty great for a couple hours.

We experienced our first real snowfall of the season, including a nice initial burst of large flakes.  However, the ground and air were warm so it only resulted in a slushy dusting.  I'm still waiting for my first measurable snowfall.

3 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I noticed the bright-banding in that spot and wondered what they were seeing at the surface.  That must've been pretty great for a couple hours.

We experienced our first real snowfall of the season, including a nice initial burst of large flakes.  However, the ground and air were warm so it only resulted in a slushy dusting.  I'm still waiting for my first measurable snowfall.

Oh so close.  Yeah it started off here as sort of a mix of sprinkles and half-melted tiny flakes, and then transitioned to some nice dendrites.  Looked like a snow globe for a few mins until it waned.  Back to spitting small flakes now.  Ground is too warm after being in the 40s a short while ago.  Hoping that enhanced band to the north can make it in here in a little while, but it may just miss to the northeast.

2 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Today's even was really a surprise.

It once looked good, especially a bit north. Guidance backed off yesterday to a DAB. Even the HRRR had mostly rain as of this morning.

FGEN band overproduced on the north side of the disturbance for sure. Still was transient though.

Yeah it was nice to see a last minute surprise for the better lol.  A few spots in the far northwest corner picked up around 4", which I certainly wouldn't have believed early this morning.

Ended up with 0.4" here.  Still waiting to hear if MLI got on the board for the season yet.  Radar/obs were a bit iffy in that immediate area.

Archived