Newest Member
    joxey
December 8-16 Clipper Regime

Hoosier

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Detroit is sitting at like 250% of average snowfall to date.  That place just seems like it finds any excuse to snow.

Definitely no complaints. With but a few exceptions it's been a great (and sometimes lucky) decade for snow. Running a foot above avg the last decade. The small but vocal contingent of complainers have nothing to complain about anymore specific to SE MI. For years it was, well sure we are getting lots of snow, but no big dog. That changed in 2015. The complaint now is that it took over 24 hours to grind our big dog out :lol:

Much of the Midwest is running quite a surplus in the snow department the last 10-15 years though, including Chicago. 

2 minutes ago, slow poke said:

You guys out in IA and IL want snow, have snowfreak move out there to your area for a while, snow seems to always find him. He's a snow magnet lately!

Obviously lake belts are where it's at but it would be interesting to see % of normal snowfall the last 10 years. I would think Detroit is near the top. At least in the Midwest and lakes.

1 hour ago, slow poke said:

You guys out in IA and IL want snow, have snowfreak move out there to your area for a while, snow seems to always find him. He's a snow magnet lately!

Hopefully we can cash in on a system or 2 the next week or so as the patter changes more favorably for us. However the last Few GFS runs and to an extent the euro run weren't really encouraging. Although the euro has the system, but cuts it off over the SW, which is a known bias, hopefully that's all it is

6 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Obviously lake belts are where it's at but it would be interesting to see % of normal snowfall the last 10 years. I would think Detroit is near the top. At least in the Midwest and lakes.

I didn't run individual cities but here's this. Last 10 full snow seasons, so not including this one.

map_btd.png.8797e69830295caec74db96321abaa65.png

14 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

Gotta love how my county in West MI is a little donut hole in a sea of darker green.

And I'm pretty sure it's off a bit for my location. During those seasons, only 11/12 and 12/13 were below, and by a small percent I'll add. The other 8 years have ranged from slightly above normal to 200% of normal. I'll try to crunch some numbers on this for mby when I get a min

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I did run the 10 year numbers for ORD and came up with 128%.  That map has the 125% contour right there, so not bad.  Could be off in some places but should be a good general guide.

Interesting. And beat Detroit by 1%. Detroit is at 127%. The 10 winters 2007-08 thru 2016-17 averaged 54.0", and average is 42.7".

We picked up another 1.1" yesterday and overnight but up to 3" in the northern suburbs. I am at 13.8" on the month, and some parts of northern Oakland county are reportedly closing in on 18-20" on the month. It is crazy how much of a snow magnet MI has been so far. Certainly hope everyone gets in on it. It's in the mid 30s now so salt is being a bit more effective on then street than it was after they plowed the other day. Not really affecting the actual snowpack. I mean its settling and compacting of course, depth is around 7", but we have to be pushing 0.8-0.9" liquid in it. It's only mid 20s in Oakland co, so I think I know where the front is.

On 12/15/2017 at 1:32 PM, Hoosier said:

I didn't run individual cities but here's this. Last 10 full snow seasons, so not including this one.

map_btd.png.8797e69830295caec74db96321abaa65.png

On 12/15/2017 at 2:20 PM, Hoosier said:

I did run the 10 year numbers for ORD and came up with 128%.  That map has the 125% contour right there, so not bad.  Could be off in some places but should be a good general guide.

On 12/15/2017 at 3:40 PM, michsnowfreak said:

Interesting. And beat Detroit by 1%. Detroit is at 127%. The 10 winters 2007-08 thru 2016-17 averaged 54.0", and average is 42.7".

As suspected, that darker green shading to my west should extend over my way. Crunching numbers came up with a ten yr avg of 65.7" and a range of 137-132% of normal based on using the 48" seen on the recent NOAA map, or 49.9" I go with based on other maps n research I did some years back

Archived