Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

That map looks similar to last years debacle. I actually like our chances later this month in all honesty.

The upcoming stretch never looked like a wet pattern so it's pretty much going as expected. Doesn't mean any of us have to like it of course. 

It's a bit of a tradeoff. The vast majority of the time the atmosphere looks to support snow the next 10 days so it's not like we need 6" of QPF to get something going. The northern stream is never nice to us early in the year. I can't think of any Dec with a dominant NS that produced prolifically. 2013 is the only one I can think of and it wasn't really prolific. 2010 tried to work out but instead unleashed a big bag of steaming S to enjoy for the holiday week. lol

Summary of 12z runs:

12z GFS: pretty similar to 6z, better than 0z for sure

12z CMC: on par with 0z CMC, but it's the CMC. Upgrades may help it though

12z ukmet: Best case scenario. Could happen, I love the potential, but hopes are fairly slim.

12z Euro: better than 0z, but not good enough to put us in snow. Could be wrong, and I'm still digging thru the Jan 6th event of last year to find analogs to what the models were showing.

12z GEFS: Better development of storm, doesn't bring precip close enough stil

12z EPS: Improvement of 0z, you can tell by it upping snow, and despite it giving DC 0.1" less snow than it did in the 0z, the gradient to the SE is what catches my eye. Quick jump from 1"-4" of snow

12z NAVGEM: On par with 0z, east of 6z. Looks not too shabby, but west would be much appreciated

12z NAM: close but no cigar

4 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Probably been discussed in detail already but the UKMET is enough to keep me tracking.  That would be a beautiful early season snow storm for us.  Of course it's on its own so we don't weigh it heavily, but I'm not tuning out of this threat if it keeps showing that.   

UKMET is apparently the 2nd most accurate behind the Euro. Also apparently tracked Irma better than any of the other models at long range

It's interesting that the NAM and CMC are in agreement though, with the Euro trending back a bit. If I recall the Jan 2016 blizzard was first picked up by the CMC and the NAM was the first model that showed the big snow totals making it to NY. It was both the GFS and Euro that had a bit of a suppressed southerly track for a few runs if I recall, and the Euro had a really tight gradient at the PA/MD border that went from 0 inches to 30+ inches, which obviously did not verify.

But even if the precip magically makes it farther NW and the cities are magically forecast to get 3+ inches, it just seems too warm. We'll be sitting waiting for the temperature to drop below freezing while we watch white rain fall from the sky. Not to be a downer, but every good snow I can remember in our region is preceded by below freezing temperatures for at least a few hours at some point in the previous day or two.

18 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

UKMET is apparently the 2nd most accurate behind the Euro. Also apparently tracked Irma better than any of the other models at long range

the model is a joke. Next run will be a 1012 off the coast of Jacksonville, Florida

1 minute ago, Ji said:

we have way too many events lately where SE virginia beats us in snow...

Unless of course you had to move there than those events would stop right away.  I live there for 10 years and trust me you don’t want to live there if you like snow.  

eps continues the pattern that has been going since april. little preip in our area, and there appears to be nothing on the models to change this. Considering the current length of dry spell, i question when this will break. I,m not at all in favor of it suddenly breaking down this winter. But I have no skill in this, just time and experience

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived