Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

GEFS follows the Op for both the coastal and clipper. 

Was just about to say that. Yeah, as disappointing as could be expected. I'm hoping that in 24 hours things will look better, or else it's time to focus on future events. That or maybe we still get some of the event. Any snow in December would be fine imo

3 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I can't be upset with what I'm seeing. There will be plenty of cold, and the pattern seems conducive for small mini kickstarter events, which I'm fine with. I mean last year I moved here and I got... what, 2" total of snow? If even a single one of these little waves succeeds, I'll match all of last year, haha.

I would be nice to score before Xmas...that is my bar...1inch or more that stays on the ground longer than a few days.  That cant be too much to ask. 

I mentioned this yesterday but the steep and narrow ridge/valley look over NA on the EPS is not a good storm pattern. No room to amplify or draw up gulf moisture. The GFS backed off on the big ridge out west and broadened the LW trough over the conus. No surprise that something had a chance to amplify along the way. That's something to watch on ens going forward. A steep connected PNA/EPO rdige inhibits our snow chances. Let's hope things open up a little and let energy spend some time cruising W-E instead of N-S. 

gfs_z500a_nhem_46.png

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

The individual members are not too excited. There is one biggie and 2 other decent ones.

I mean, the good news is that at least a couple individual members still show it. Still, not good. As I previously stated a couple days ago, I'm hoping the guidance is showing the SE bias that was prevalent during the Jan 2017 storm and a couple in the last few years. I'm not sure if that'll happen, since I can recall the same amount of events that trended SE as those that trended NW

39 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I can't be upset with what I'm seeing. There will be plenty of cold, and the pattern seems conducive for small mini kickstarter events, which I'm fine with. I mean last year I moved here and I got... what, 2" total of snow? If even a single one of these little waves succeeds, I'll match all of last year, haha.

Yes, compared to last winter, this pattern is looking great. No sense in meltdowns now.

25 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I mean, the good news is that at least a couple individual members still show it. Still, not good. As I previously stated a couple days ago, I'm hoping the guidance is showing the SE bias that was prevalent during the Jan 2017 storm and a couple in the last few years. I'm not sure if that'll happen, since I can recall the same amount of events that trended SE as those that trended NW

Has there really been any change in the models from five or so days ago. We were watching the Friday "coastal" trend toward the coast but now it's back to where it was before, maybe worse. Seems like too much cold suppresses any development south of us and the NS typically misses us to the north/northwest. The only constant is the obligatory ten to twelve day storm on the models. 

12 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

How often does cold like it is depicted verify in December?

2 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

Has there really been any change in the models from five or so days ago. We were watching the Friday "coastal" trend toward the coast but now it's back to where it was before, maybe worse. Seems like too much cold suppresses any development south of us and the NS typically misses us to the north/northwest. The only constant is the obligatory ten to twelve day storm on the models. 

you are right on both counts.  Cold we got I think in the bag.  we need NS vorts to get under us.  A tall order perhaps as I am learning.  GEFS has the pattern more relaxed but still looks decent enough for now.  HL blocking still there.  We seen worse that's for sure.   

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived