SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Hopefully we can get an assist from the MJO as we close out the year

image.gif.29f0ff36a71814ccc659e7488fac3a32.gif

Never did understand what that does fr us.  If the AO/NAO don't cooperate it seems this is useless even in promise land territory we are headed.  I have been studying up because I know many get enthused with 7/8/1

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cobalt said:

Mean precip from the 23rd-28th jumps up a full inch and a half. Whoever gets on the wintry precip side of that Christmas event will probably cash in big time..

DTW is my guess..PIT maybe.  12 days until Xmas.  Imagine our fate will be determined sooner.going to take a huge turnaround to save Xmas for us.  Clouds and rain I can deal with but 65 sunny I will have to surrender my soul.

12 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

DTW is my guess..PIT maybe.  12 days until Xmas.  Imagine our fate will be determined sooner.going to take a huge turnaround to save Xmas for us.  Clouds and rain I can deal with but 65 sunny I will have to surrender my soul.

Odds of temps over 50:

eps_tmax_50_conus_54.thumb.png.4f305d3ef96655c8e95d2ad4d38f69d1.png

30-35% if seems. Not that bad odds judging our situation with a storm potentially going to our North. A shift 50 miles South could have us sitting at 40 degrees as a high.

Odds above 70:

eps_tmax_70_conus_54.thumb.png.57594d4249ff705a9c9d1abfed1a95be.png

Again, very low. Don't like even seeing odds there, but a less than 5% chance

As compared to a 30-50% chance of low temperature being sub-freezing (Our first time in 4 years?)

eps_tmin_32_conus_54.thumb.png.6e1e676755995474d660e785e777b664.png

Maybe if that cold gets in early like I mentioned earlier with the temporary potential cold from the 21st-22nd, maybe we could get some wintry precip on the 23rd or 24th. Maybe some CAD action. Probably unlikely, but not fully unsupported. This is all based on the EPS, which probably has the most weight this far out. 

Just now, losetoa6 said:

That's one heck of a snow pack on the op 18z gfs 384 hour  total in the eastern US ...sag it south 150 miles and were swimming in snow ...not too  much  to ask for a  10 to 16 day lead. 

Only 3 ensemble members completely shut us out through day 15. We surely have a chance to get some end of the month events. Get 1, and I'd say this is a December to remember

21 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Never did understand what that does fr us.  If the AO/NAO don't cooperate it seems this is useless even in promise land territory we are headed.  I have been studying up because I know many get enthused with 7/8/1

A decent MJO wave can help contribute to the AO and/or NAO going negative.  There was a good thread discussing it here some years back, and in the thread our own Usedtobe links to some other threads as well:

7 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
8 minutes ago, Ji said:
seriously....how did we get  here. How did this long awaited pattern change end up lasting 44 seconds?

December to remember........remember how good this epic advertised pattern once looked?

well it never looked snowy--just cold and dry(like tonight which is miserable)

17 minutes ago, Ji said:

well it never looked snowy--just cold and dry(like tonight which is miserable)

That's true.  It never looked warm/wet until recently.  At least we are not inside 5 days.  I think CAD might save torch.  But not give us wintry precip.  Just keep it below 50.  But a complete turn around only seems to happen cold to warm.  How did we get here?  Quote of the month.

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

That's true.  It never looked warm/wet until recently.  At least we are not inside 5 days.  I think CAD might save torch.  But not give us wintry precip.  Just keep it below 50.  But a complete turn around only seems to happen cold to warm.  How did we get here?  Quote of the month.

Still honestly better than a warmup during our best climo, that is mid-late January. I think by that time this pattern is reloaded and we're back into cold.

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

The AO/NAO tends to trend along with it imo.  Late December looks much better to me!

54 minutes ago, Ji said:

seriously....how did we get  here. How did this long awaited pattern change end up lasting 44 seconds?

Technically the change happened leading into thanksgiving so it's been around a while. We scored an event and look to prob fail on the rest. All in all that's a success but since it wasn't below freezing for 24 hours a day for weeks on end with snow piling up every three days it feels like a failure. 

We'll prob get some sort of jacked up lucky well timed event right in the middle of SE Ridgeville to remind us that good patterns are often wasted and many of our events happen for weird reasons. 

17 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

@cae If J.B. 2.0 swears by it during the winter it can't be all that bad. Right? Nice post. 

With weatherbell output marginal at best with the CMC I have found I have fallen to the wayside on using the CMC for anything more then verification for the other models. After reading your post I may have to give more weight to the CMC in the future. The one thing I have noticed over the years though, is that quite often a model may score higher overall during a given period of time and yet a lower verifying model would actually perform much better through our general region with the setup. Now this was due to the broad brush of the verification to that of the N hemi/N American (maybe a little smaller scale?) and not a more regional look. Now it has been some years since I really looked into the hows and whys of the verification process so maybe things have changed. So I guess I am asking, if you know, have they narrowed verifications to a smaller scale with a more regional look to give a better representation for our neck of the woods?

Again, nice write up.

Thanks.  I'd love to see regional verification scores, but as far as I know they don't exist (at least publicly).  The best I've found so far for our region is the North American verification score.  It doesn't perfectly reflect what's going on around here, but it's better than I would have guessed.  I think that's because a models tend to get things wrong in our region when they get the broader pattern wrong across North America.

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

If we can keep that 540 line south of us... 00z GFS is advertising an intriguing run up to Christmas.  Note the 486DM 1000-500mb thicknesses in NE MN into Canada... that might help in keeping us on the right side of the boundary

Well it shows Christmas morning snow this run so it’s a win :)

4 hours ago, poolz1 said:

18z on top 00z bottom...I'm stepping away from the ledge. lol

Looks like the 12z GEFS panel I posted earlier. I commented on the look and was optimistic about where it might be headed with the -epo and possible rebuilding of HL blocking. Throw out the 18z run, and we have a nice trend away from any prolonged retrogression with a western US trough. EPS looks much the same, improving over the last 2 runs.

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Looks like the 12z GEFS panel I posted earlier. I commented on the look and was optimistic about where it might be headed with the -epo and possible rebuilding of HL blocking. Throw out the 18z run, and we have a nice trend away from any prolonged retrogression and a deep SW trough. EPS looks much the same, improving over the last 2 runs.

Yes things do look better on 0z.  At least GFS.  Not sure about the other models.  Puts us on the right side so speak.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived