Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Euro has a dusting fest for us this week.  3 for MBY. 

GEFS and EPS disagree in important ways going forward toward Christmas.  GEFS dumps a trough in the SW, which pulls the WAR back to more of a SE ridge and probably keeps the boundary to our north.  Can see that visually clearly on the last few GFS op runs.  EPS keeps the trough centered in the east, which keeps our temps below normal and probably keeps us closer to or north of the happy side of the gradient.  

Eps mslp maps centered for that period have nary any LP in the lower 48. Looks HP dominated cold. Although 1) it could be wrong 2) overunning would still be a concern even without any visible area of LP on the LR eps, and 3) as you said, would rather take my chances in being on the cold side of the gradient. 

Im surprised with the known Euro bias of keeping energy back in the SW it is complete opposite of the GEFS in this regard with no sign of a trof feature in the SW.

eps_mslp_anom_noram_348.png

1 hour ago, mitchnick said:

GEPS is cold. Maybe colder than EPS. 2 against 1.

I stand corrected, GEPS and GEFS send the cold into the lower 48 based on the EPO ridge, so they are similar. You can also see on the GEPS there is some weakness at H5 near Baja around the 22nd or 23rd but the GEPS ejects right around Christmas. Looks like the GFS op sort of with a SWFE/gradient setup but GEPS looks like we could have the GFS op SW-NE wave train but colder. Probably reading too much into it at this range but I have a feeling the GFS op is too far N with the SE Ridge/gradient centered around the 24th25th. 

4 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Elephants in rooms should not be ignored was my only point. I obviously have no skill in this but I also don't disregard something that continuously shows up on model runs even if only on one model.

I would bet even Ji provides more use than a day 15 model map

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

So... any chance the two systems phase on Friday? I see LWX made mention of it in their AFD - even though they said its unlikely... would be interesting if it did as the 06z GFS shows a period of snow around 12z FRI to 00z SAT

Seems like it's likely to slide to our South. It'll be interesting to see what the models show for it the next few days. I mean, this Saturday storm looked like it was gonna scoot to our South, so I guess we won't know for sure

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Eps mslp maps centered for that period have nary any LP in the lower 48. Looks HP dominated cold. Although 1) it could be wrong 2) overunning would still be a concern even without any visible area of LP on the LR eps, and 3) as you said, would rather take my chances in being on the cold side of the gradient. 

Im surprised with the known Euro bias of keeping energy back in the SW it is complete opposite of the GEFS in this regard with no sign of a trof feature in the SW.

Is this still a true known bias? I know it was years ago, but thought somewhere along the lines someone said it's not much of a problem anymore with the various upgrades made to the model. Just curious.

Models have been flipping around in the long range. I wouldn’t put much stock in any one run or it’s ensembles. 6z GFS looked meh, but 0z looked good overall to me. I’d just focus on the next week to 10 days and let the Christmas week pattern shake itself out. 

11 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I've got a better idea than worrying about what happens 2 weeks from now and beyond. Let's focus on this week this week, and next week and beyond, next week. There are a few chances this week. Who knows, maybe they morph into something better.

Agreed.  Not worried about Christmas wx at all (and because I won't even be here).  Maybe end of week will trend better.

12 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I've got a better idea than worrying about what happens 2 weeks from now and beyond. Let's focus on this week this week, and next week and beyond, next week. There are a few chances this week. Who knows, maybe they morph into something better.

You just put a whole bunch of people on here out of a job

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived