Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

It's good but when the mean trough in the east is too east it hurts us.  You said we need a broad trough that's more west... I see why

For getting a big juicy system up from the south a narrow trough rarely works. But it's not a shutout pattern so that's probably the most important thing. We need pretty big cold departures in early Dec to get snow so it's a tradeoff. The amplified pattern will should drive some impressive cold well south of us. Being in the game is all we can ask for either way. We been tormented with a lot of wasted Decembers lately. Even 2013 wasn't that good near the cities. I had 2 events totaling 4". 09 was the last big December the cities and burbs have had. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

For getting a big juicy system up from the south a narrow trough rarely works. But it's not a shutout pattern so that's probably the most important thing. We need pretty big cold departures in early Dec to get snow so it's a tradeoff. The amplified pattern will should drive some impressive cold well south of us. Being in the game is all we can ask for either way. We been tormented with a lot of wasted Decembers lately. Even 2013 wasn't that good near the cities. I had 2 events totaling 4". 09 was the last big December the cities and burbs have had. 

Even at 384 it just keeps coming.  Like a conveyer belt of cold.  That is just wow on its own.  Up to eastern GL and back down the slide.  

being that were at 4.5 days, there is still time for a few more ticks west, so while I think were all feeling alright...i think there's still room for improvement for this to come Northwest, as the recent sharpening of the trough offers hope...and we often see the normal NW trends, so I think if history holds, y'all are sitting pretty. 

I'm pullin for the southern crew cause many of you like (or appreciate) snow more than some of my brethren well north of me.

Just now, pasnownut said:

being that were at 4.5 days, there is still time for a few more ticks west, so while I think were all feeling alright...i think there's still room for improvement for this to come Northwest, as the recent sharpening of the trough offers hope...and we often see the normal NW trends, so I think if history holds, y'all are sitting pretty. 

I'm pullin for the southern crew cause many of you like (or appreciate) snow more than some of my brethren well north of me.

The northern brothers are spoiled.  We suffer for snow. The weeklies look great.  Can’t tell which week is which.  I think week 4 is Xmas.

26 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

The weeklies imply that this winter's base state is a -ao/-epo/+pna. Makes sense but weeklies can flip immediatey following an eps flip. The good thing right now is we don't have to look way down the line praying for a pattern change. We get to enjoy a winter type pattern pretty much right now and also enjoy the probability that it isn't going away anytime soon. 

My guess is the first relaxation is only going to be the pna. We can work with a -pna once we get into late Dec. I'd have to go back and sift through data but I have a hunch that a -ao/-pna still delivers snowfall sometimes but the risk of a mixed event goes up. Mixed events are pretty normal ways we get snow so no big deal there. 

No signs of the ao going positive is probably the biggest thing we have going for us. We're going to be in good shape if the -ao holds for another couple weeks. About dam time it cooperates too. Lol

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The weeklies imply that this winter's base state is a -ao/-epo/+pna. Makes sense but weeklies can flip immediatey following an eps flip. The good thing right now is we don't have to look way down the line praying for a pattern change. We get to enjoy a winter type pattern pretty much right now and also enjoy the probability that it isn't going away anytime soon. 

My guess is the first relaxation is only going to be the pna. We can work with a -pna once we get into late Dec. I'd have to go back and sift through data but I have a hunch that a -ao/-pna still delivers snowfall sometimes but the risk of a mixed event goes up. Mixed events are pretty normal ways we get snow so no big deal there. 

No signs of the ao going positive is probably the biggest thing we have going for us. We're going to be in good shape if the -ao holds for another couple weeks. About dam time it cooperates too. Lol

Yep, a cold first half of winter looks about as likely as I've ever seen it.  Now we pray for the snow. 

3 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Yep, a cold first half of winter looks about as likely as I've ever seen it.  Now we pray for the snow. 

even if we get relaxation after the likely good run, and ugly stuff showing up....we still at least have peak climo on our side during any flips/changes....

Good enough for now.....

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived