• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pick a storm from the past that you would want for Christmas...

uncle W

I want a snowstorm that isn't crippling...12" or less...a storm that starts around noon Christmas eve and ends around noon Christmas day...The December 24-25th, 1966 storm started around 8am and ended around 5am Christmas morning...if it wasn't for sleet mixing in Christmas eve afternoon it would be the storm I would want to see this year...A storm that fits the criteria I want was the January 19th-20th, 1961 storm...10" of powder with drifting and low temperatures...it started around noon and ended just before noon the next day...

if you don't want a storm for Christmas you can use past Christmas torch's...my favorite was the 69 in Newark Christmas day 1964...:arrowhead:

Toss Up between 1983 and 1996

1983 - Heaviest Snowfall Rates I ever witnessed in Harrison, 2 to 4 inches an hour, could NOT see hand in front of your face. 

1996 - greatest depth I ever measured in a single storm in Harrison, Hudson County at 28 inches. 

Enough to enjoy but not too much where traveling is a problem, so maybe 6" or so mainly on Christmas eve with cloudy skies and leftover flurries for Christmas day...and very cold temps not out of the 20's by day. Also hopefully there's some snow on the ground in the days leading up to Christmas. Then you can give me another boxing day blizzard thereafter.;)

I'll do a torch and a white Christmas, noteworthy because I think they were back to back, but its the White Christmas I want.  Correct me if I'm off here on the years please:

1982 Christmas Eve:  Short-sleeve weather.  Mom had to go out and buy izod short sleeve shirts for me and my bro

1983 Christmas Eve:  Frigid cold - maybe  1.5 inches of snow, but given the cold it was enough to make everything including the roads white.

I would have liked the Dec. 11-12, 1960 storm (15"+), one of our earliest blizzards conditions ever, to have come two weeks later.   Incidentally, when one sees the photos of the Dec. 16, mid-air collision debris, those piles of snow are from this event.

This is a photo of a snow pile which temporarily saved the life of 12 year old Stephen Baltz who had the last seat in the Boeing 707 jet and somehow landed on it as it crashed to earth at Sterling Pl. & Seventh Ave., @ about 10:30 that morning.    Everyone else aboard both planes and four on the ground were killed immediately.  He died the next day from burned out lungs, a condition not noticed by the treating doctors at Methodist Hospital where he was taken by private conveyance.

ual_stephen_baltz_10_100.jpg

7 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

I would have liked the Dec. 11-12, 1960 storm (15"+), one of our earliest blizzards conditions ever, to have come two weeks later.   Incidentally, when one sees the photos of the Dec. 16, mid-air collision debris, those piles of snow are from this event.

it ruined the Christmas spirit for sure...I was 11 and wanted a sled for Christmas...That's what I got...a sled and nothing else but cloths...I couldn't use it until Christmas day...there was still some ice left on the sidewalks...It broke from over use by the end of February...The night before the plane crash I was watching TV news and the anchor was talking about the rain that was in the forecast the next day...He said the snow mounds will turn to oceans of slush...it did where the plane crashed...the rain wasn't that heavy and changed to wet snow...I saw big wet flakes out the window from my school...that plane that crashed in Brooklyn wasn't that far away as it flew over Brooklyn...every year around the 16th I remember that event...26 years later my mother died on Dec. 16th...it's not a great date on the calendar for me...

17 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

I'll do a torch and a white Christmas, noteworthy because I think they were back to back, but its the White Christmas I want.  Correct me if I'm off here on the years please:

1982 Christmas Eve:  Short-sleeve weather.  Mom had to go out and buy izod short sleeve shirts for me and my bro

1983 Christmas Eve:  Frigid cold - maybe  1.5 inches of snow, but given the cold it was enough to make everything including the roads white.

Christmas from 1979 to 1983 set four records at the time...

1979...warmest min...

1980...coldest minimum...

1982...warmest max...

1983...coldest max...

2015 broke the highest max and min records...

17 hours ago, uncle W said:

it ruined the Christmas spirit for sure...I was 11 and wanted a sled for Christmas...That's what I got...a sled and nothing else but cloths...I couldn't use it until Christmas day...there was still some ice left on the sidewalks...It broke from over use by the end of February...The night before the plane crash I was watching TV news and the anchor was talking about the rain that was in the forecast the next day...He said the snow mounds will turn to oceans of slush...it did where the plane crashed...the rain wasn't that heavy and changed to wet snow...I saw big wet flakes out the window from my school...that plane that crashed in Brooklyn wasn't that far away as it flew over Brooklyn...every year around the 16th I remember that event...26 years later my mother died on Dec. 16th...it's not a great date on the calendar for me...

I was in a Freshman Algebra class in Brooklyn Tech. I remember the instructor being called out into the hall than coming back in and telling us about it. The heartbreaking pictures of the young man that died the next day. The man selling Christmas trees and hearing my father telling my mother that his body still wasn't found. How close the Brooklyn plane came to several schools. The thinking, at the time, that the pilot was trying to get to Prospect Park. The other prop liner crashing into, a than, underpopulated Staten Island. I am sorry for your loss Unc. As I write this I am sitting in an infusion center opposite my 45 year partner in life. We are hoping to get by this month and at least into the new year. 

1 hour ago, VicV said:

I would pick the Dec 23 1963 storm which dropped 6 inches of snow and had temps mostly in the 20's for NYC and Brooklyn. 

I played football that day in the school yard on 12th Ave and 64th ST...the day before the storm was the first day above freezing in seven days...there was a little snow on the ground when the snow started...it did change to sleet and freezing drizzle leaving a thin crust on the snow...it ended as a dusting the morning of the 24th...There was some flurries that evening after dark with a coating that whitened the snow that was on the ground...The 61 storm with 6" ending midnight Christmas eve and the 1966 storm was 7" ending early Christmas morning made it a special time for Christmas weather...

4 hours ago, rclab said:

I was in a Freshman Algebra class in Brooklyn Tech. I remember the instructor being called out into the hall than coming back in and telling us about it. The heartbreaking pictures of the young man that died the next day. The man selling Christmas trees and hearing my father telling my mother that his body still wasn't found. How close the Brooklyn plane came to several schools. The thinking, at the time, that the pilot was trying to get to Prospect Park. The other prop liner crashing into, a than, underpopulated Staten Island. I am sorry for your loss Unc. As I write this I am sitting in an infusion center opposite my 45 year partner in life. We are hoping to get by this month and at least into the new year. 

sorry to hear that...good luck...

Archived